LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboPhil

Limit add/remove space to visible diagram

The ctrl+drag and ctrl+alt+drag shortcuts for adding and removing space on the BD are super awesome. But I think they would be even *more* awesome with the following tweak:

Limit space addition/removal to the visible diagram; i.e. don't make any changes to other cases in a case structure.

I have had many situations where I was doing cosmetic tweaks in one case of a case structure, only to find I have overlapping items in another case that I wasn't looking at.

auto_size_issues.gif

Hopefully this simple animated gif demonstrates what I'm talking about.

(And yes, I know we could enable "auto-grow" on the case structure to eliminate the shrink-case-smaller-than-contents problem, but that still doesn't address all the potential issues here.)

3 Comments
User002
Not applicable

Auto-grow FTW! Maybe it would be helpful to explain the issues that auto-grow wouldn't address. I'm not catching what the problem would be if aut-grow is enabled.

TurboPhil
Active Participant

The above gif probably doesn't do a good job showing all potential problems. Yes, auto-grow would solve the I-collapsed-the-case-structure-to-the-point-of-hiding-elements problem, but it doesn't help for situtations where I remove space in one case, and then the individual items in another case start overlapping one another.

TurboPhil
Active Participant

Here's an example where I demonstrate removing space from one case in the structure (which only had a simple increment & feedback node), and it resulted in glomming all the stuff in the other case (the file operation primitives) on top of one another:

auto_size_issues2.gif