LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
annacm

LabVIEW Executables (even in development mode) should be included in the Windows Task Manager

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.

When you're running an executable and it freezes, especially in development mode, you have to shut down the entire LabVIEW environment.  It would be nice if there was a way to stop just the executing VI.

11 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

Take a look at this thread for the Abort.VI to be able to stop running VI's without aborting all of LabVIEW.  It may not work in every situation, but often enough to have this sitting on your desktop ready to open when you need it.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

This is an impossible request. Each VI would have to be a separate running process, and LabVIEW is explicitly designed not to function that way. Many of the operations possible with a VI work because they are part of the same process as the IDE itself.

annacm

Thanks for the comments.  I am relatively new to LabVIEW and really don't know much about how it works under the covers.  I will give Abort.VI a try!

minnellac
Active Participant

This is a good idea. Don't let reality get in the way of solving the problem AQ. The problem is real, and a solution would be a really useful feature. Don't fixate on the task manager and killing processes. Maybe LabVIEW needs an external tool to help the user abort stuck code.

mattjsimps

The issue here i think is that, when i run a BUILT application, that happens to be implemented in labview, on a machine with the Labview IDE open, it cant be killed properly on its own - you have to shut down labVIEW.

This is clearly stupid

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

> The issue here i think is that, when i run a BUILT application, that happens to be implemented in labview, on a machine with the Labview IDE open, it cant be killed properly on its own - you have to shut down labVIEW.

That's not true. Each executable is a separate process and appears as such. It is not connected to any LabVIEW.exe process you have running (you can have several of those open in parallel as well).

I am talking about running a VI in development mode. I am in charge of troubleshooting some very large applications, which take forever to load in LabVIEW, as well as deploy on an RT. When they crash, I am frequently forced to kill all of LabVIEW, which can result in much wasted time to fix what is often a small problem.
tst
Knight of NI

OK, so that's not a built application. That's running the VI in LabVIEW.

You do have a couple of options, however:

1. Build the application with debugging enabled. This should allow you to connect to it from LabVIEW to debug it. That said, if it gets stuck, it might still crash LV. I have no experience with this feature, so I can't comment on it.

2. Add the line AllowMultipleInstances=TRUE to your LabVIEW.ini file. This should allow you to open multiple instance of LabVIEW.exe, so if one of them crashes, it shouldn't affect the others.

Personally, I can't say I see the point of debugging a large app and working on another large app in parallel (which seems to be what you're doing, unless I'm misunderstanding you). It seems to me that if your app would get stuck, you would still need to load it all up again anyway.

I think we are having a miscommunication. I am running the main VI of my application in development mode, so as a result, I am running the entire non-built application in development mode. Only one project is open. What I want is to be able to kill the running VI if it freezes without having to reopen LabVIEW and reload my entire project. Is that a little bit more clear? I will try your suggestions, however. Debugging a built application could definitely help.
tst
Knight of NI

Debugging an EXE is one option. Another is in the link that Ravens Fan provided and in the other links in that thread.

Of course, if the VI really hangs (as opposed to just being stuck in an abortable state), aborting it will not help, as LV will not respond and you will still need to crash it.