LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fabions

LVOOP Object Property Nodes should follow user defined order in virtual property folder in class file.

Like clusters order, I would like to have them ordered just like I order my folder, not in alphabetical order. This could make easier to use them.

LabVIEW 2012 behavior:

obprop.png

8 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Lots of usability research against your idea. The order in the project tree is a developer's view, organized however he/she wants. But when that gets presented to your end users, breaking groups by sections works, but within each section, alphabetical order provides the fastest lookup and the least disturbance when new properties are added to the set. Because of this, all of the properties for all classes are alphabatized within each inheritance layer. This becomes ever more important the more widely your classes are used and the more revisions that are made to the class over time.

Any property menus you see in LabVIEW relating to certain hardware refnum types where the properties are not in alphabetical order are owned by those teams and I disavow all responsibility for their usability. I'd fix them in a heartbeat if I owned that code.

* And I'm sorry, I cannot cite you sources for the research. It was many years ago when we went through that system and I cannot find any of my documents at this point. I'm sure it is somewhere in the mountain of documents related to OO development.

Brian_Powell
Active Participant

AristosQueue wrote...

Any property menus you see in LabVIEW relating to certain hardware refnum types where the properties are not in alphabetical order are owned by those teams and I disavow all responsibility for their usability. I'd fix them in a heartbeat if I owned that code.

This is why I don't let AristosQueue own this code. 🙂

I think there are times when an order other than alphabetical makes sense, and this is why our internal object manager supports non-sorted use cases.

Mr.Mike
NI Employee (retired)

You can set the order programmatically.  We are not going to change the existing behavior though.  I've considered making a dialog to make it easier to set the sort order, but I haven't had time to.

-- Mike
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Maybe AQ can't cite sources for the research, but I can provide myself as an example. This week I opened a project in LV 7.0 after not working with it a long time and I was surprised by two things:

1. How short the list of properties for the controls was (no scripting or private properties, etc.).
  2. How long it took me to find the Visible property, because the properties weren't in alphabetical order.

I remember that the transition took some getting used to when NI switched to ordering the properties automatically, but I think it's preferable, particularly as the list grows longer.

The benefit of this idea is that when I first place the wire to Property Node, I can choose the "most common" to use data first.

As you say that usability goes against this idea, the best practice in LabVIEW is to order my clusters in the alphabetical order? 

Maybe a option in class properties "[x] order property nodes in alphabetical order" .. If selected normal behavior, else order by user class order.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

>  As you say that usability goes against this idea, the best

> practice in LabVIEW is to order my clusters in the alphabetical order?

For usabiltity of menus, yes, but there are other reasons (like tab order on a front panel for one easy example) to order clusters that take priority over the menus.

Hari_Prathap

As a workaround, we can add numbers as prefix ex : 00.prop 1,01.prop 2 etc...

Thanks

Hari

Duffy2007
Active Participant

The example

References are not closed, but must be done in the application.

sample.png

best regards
Alexander