LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GerdW

Key focus Event

Hi,

i propose to add a "Key Focus" event for each control. We already have Mouse events (leaving, entering) - but when the user (or the programmer) prefers the keyboard (with proper tabbing setup) you have to poll each interesting control for it's "Key Focus" property to initiate a user event...

So please:

Add a "Got Focus" (and additionally a "Lost Focus") event to the event structure!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
24 Comments
MinerHokieRamp

I spent a lot of time searching the forum on how to do this and landed here. I don't see this feature in LV2013.

Jeffrey Bledsoe
Electrical Engineer
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

MinerHokieRamp: The feature is not in 2013... nor will it be in 2016. It hasn't made the cut to get attention. It's got fairly high kudos, but other projects keep winning out.

PeppeJeppe

Like everyone else I ended up here. Please add it!! It takes to much execution time to poll the focus property.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

PeppeJeppe,

If you like the idea, be sure to give it a kudos.  Your little comment will not draw NI's attention.  It is the kudo count that is supposed to be the representative of the community's desire for the feature.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
PeppeJeppe

I'm blind because I cant find where to click to give it kudos 😉

PeppeJeppe

I found it 😄

crossrulz
Knight of NI

The star at the top of the thread.  It takes a little time for it to register, but you will see it slightly change colors when it does register.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
littlesphaeroid
Active Participant

Additionally, an event for a VI becoming idle (or changing execution state) would be great, so that processes can quit when their parent process goes idle. Now we have to poll the execution state on event timeout to determine of a parent VI is idle.

littlespaeroid, are you referring to dynamically called "children" VIs?

Regardless, that should be in a different idea (that I think has already been suggested)

GCentral
littlesphaeroid
Active Participant

Yes, it should be a different idea, sorry. And yes, if a VI is called with async call and forget, normally we want it to stop when the calling VI becomes idle. We could do this with events sent from the calling VI or top-level application, but if the event doesn't get sent, for whatever reason, you can end up with invisible processes running all over the place. My solution is to poll the running state of the calling VI. But registering for an event on the execution state of that VI would be much more elegant.