LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Koumajutsu

Insertion/Latch Probe

Therefore, my suggestion is to add functionality to a probe to provide the ability to replace the data passing through that point with the value of the developer’s choosing, either for a single iteration, or for multiple itterations.

Occasionally I have found instances where is would greatly helpful to be able to inject a value into a 'wire' for either a single iteration or for every iteration, overwriting the value that would be naturally set by the previous operation. This may be a desire to insert an erroneous value to test my code's response to unexpected values without disrupting the code that is in place, or, as I hate to admit, to recover a runaway thread without disrupting the execution of the remainder of the application and any associated, unsaved data.

For example, a while loop that has managed to miss its exit condition due to an unforeseen race condition, holding up a weekend’s worth of data collection from being saved to disk. Rather than being forced to click the dreaded Abort button, it would be nice to be able to simply force the next evaluation of the conditional terminal to be True, exiting the while loop and freeing the execution of the remainder of the application

3 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

This sounds like this - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Allow-Data-in-Wires-to-be-Forced-During-Development/id...

That's exactly what I mean. If I had found that when I searched, I wouldnt have re-posted the same thing. Smiley Happy

Laura F.
Active Participant