LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RER

Improving LabVIEW 2013 Bookmark and Documentation features

Will be tracked as CAR 422018

Congratulations everyone who inspired, design and implemented the new bookmarking and documentation feature of LabVIEW 2013. This is going to be hugely useful. And you’ve kept it so simple; we can all run with it! Thank you! However, I have 2 requests that (I think) will improve it further.

1. Make the “free label arrow heads” sit behind the free label. This would prevent the following issue.

cleanup fail 1.JPG

Click “auto cleanup”

cleanup fail 2.JPG

Arrow head covers the label.

I know that, since 2012, you can enable labels on wires... but this 2013 feature delivers a new way of documentation.

2. Please… please… please provide a shortcut for the bookmarking tool. I think the bookmarks deliver a great new way of quickly navigating large projects – as such, I would love to be able to toggle the bookmark viewer (on/off) just like I can with the context help window (ctrl + H).

This tweak would prevent me having to leave the bookmark window open, and then faff about with Windows own <ctrl + Tab> to get the job done.

Bookmark shortcut.jpg

I think these changes are minor… but impactful.

Genuinely though, thank you for implementing these exciting new features. LabVIEW 2013 – the greatest iteration yet!

Rich Roberts
Senior Marketing Engineer, National Instruments
Connect on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-roberts-4176a27b/
7 Comments
Roryriffic

You can create your own shortcut by going to Tools > Options > Menu Shortcuts. I use this feature extensively. Cheers!

RER
NI Employee (retired)

Roryriffic! Well how about that! Ive been using LabVIEW for 5 years... and never noticed that feature. Thanks. 

I guess that just leaves the "arrow head" overlay issue. thanks again.

Rich Roberts
KathrynB

Roryriffic I'd never seen that one either, so thanks for that info. Shame you can't give Kudos to comments in the Idea Exchange.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

This has been reported as CAR 422018. Since it will be tracked as a bug, we will close the idea.

Ljubo

I've been waiting for this for a long time. I installed a new version of Dev. suite today and tried it immediately. And there it is:

Sinus vaweform.vi has an input terminal "sampling info". #s is the number of samples. In Bookmark Manager it's shown as bookmark.

SH_ 2013-08-13_017.jpg

#ToDo: hide bookmarks of this typeSmiley Happy

Congratulations and thanks to development team anyway.

RER
NI Employee (retired)

In addtion to Ljubo's interesting finding... if you double click the #s in the bookmark window, it highlights a random area on the block diagram (zero, zero?)

Following a bit more experimentation... if you create your own cluster constant on the block diagram, name an element #something, then doubleclick on the resulting bookmark... LabVIEW can not find it! Again, it highlights what I think is the "zero, zero" position on the block diagram.

Summery: the bookmarking tool cant locate bookmarks housed in clusters! Another CAR? Robot Happy

Thanks AristosQueue for your quick responce!

Rich Roberts
JordanG
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined
Will be tracked as CAR 422018