From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carls__

Highlight Connector Pane Terminal on Right-Click

When you right-click on a connector pane terminal, a context menu pops up -- but there isn't a good indication of which terminal you've clicked on:

carls___1-1593626658134.png

You could assume that selected terminal is at the top-left corner of the context menu, but (due to a bug, I'm assuming), the actually selected terminal is a few pixels down and to the right of where you clicked.

What if the terminal you right-clicked on got highlighted while the context menu was shown?  This would provide visual feedback of the selected terminal, giving you confidence that you clicked on the terminal you thought you clicked on (and avoid mistakes of configuring the wrong terminal).  I can't even begin to count the number of times I've set the wrong terminal to "recommended" or disconnected a different terminal than expected. Could look something like this:

carls___4-1593627315744.png

(which just piggy-backs on the appearance when you're wiring up a terminal:

carls___2-1593626739401.png)

Bonus points if the bug gets addressed where clicks are actually a few pixels off.

5 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

The suggestion about coloring the terminal is a good one.

But...

> but (due to a bug, I'm assuming), the actually selected terminal

> is a few pixels down and to the right of where you clicked.

I cannot replicate that. Can you post video that shows your mouse movements? I tried both Win10 and Mac OSX. If I right-click exactly on the black border between terminals, it does bias down and right (unless you've rotated your conpane) but in all cases where I clicked on the colored region, I got the terminal I tried.

carls__

The screen-grab software I tried using doesn't capture the context menus -- but if you've got a tool you'd recommend, I'd be more than happy to do a screen-grab.

In the meantime, here's a screenshot.  Clicked on the numeric terminal, but it detected that I had clicked on the terminal below it (as evidenced by the disabled "Disconnect this terminal" option).

carls___0-1593630977135.png

Or zoomed in:

carls___1-1593631079713.png

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

"Steps Recorder" ships with Windows 10 and is pretty easy to use.

I don't see any discrepancy between where the mouse is when I click and which menu I get displayed. I *do* see that the menu is displaced up from where I clicked, and that may be confusing to you if you're using that visual as a point of reference for where your mouse was when you clicked. See the images below.

LabVIEW does that deflection for ALL right-click menus, not just the connector pane. I've never paid attention to the behavior before... it does make it slightly easier to hit the first menu item, and I wonder how much muscle memory we would screw up if we shifted those three pixels? Maybe it wouldn't matter.

I have 175% app scaling turned on throughout my Win10 installation, and that may be skewing results, but I tried in my Mac install with similar results.

carls__

Looks like step recorder doesn't capture the context menus, and screenshots don't capture the mouse cursor.  So...here's a snippet of a screenshot that Step Recorder captured from a click that was detected as an unwired terminal:

carls___0-1593635910917.png

My guess is that what's throwing me off here is the cursor itself.  To me, this looks like a click on the pink terminal.

In playing around with this, I noticed that if I tab through to other cursors (such as the wire spool or paint brush), then I'm always selecting the exact terminal that I expect to. But with this cursor, the detected click point seems to be the top-most black pixel, and lo and behold, that's on the dividing line between terminals -- which then selects the terminal below it.  Interestingly, the arrow cursor is the only one with a white outline around it...which raises the question...is the outline really necessary?

So my conclusion: it's not a bug.  It's the arrow cursor playing mind tricks on me.

Bonus points if the bug gets addressed where clicks are actually a few pixels off.

Bonus points if the arrow cursor gets updated to more clearly identify the click point.

(PS I'm good with the context menu being shifted by a few pixels, as you're right, it does make it easier to select the first item -- was just using that to illustrate the problem, not realizing there was an offset)

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

+1 for visual feedback on a right click.