LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tst

Get rid of the "(no error)" part of the error cluster

Available in LabVIEW NXG 1.0. The error terminal names for nodes are now 'error in' and 'error out'.

There's a common convention in LabVIEW where if a control is not a required input, you place the default value in parentheses:

WhatToDoTonight.png

For the most part this make sense and is useful when calling VIs, but there is one place where it's really annoying:

No_Error.png

We know there's no error by default. I suggest that NI simply remove this. This can be done today by going to <vi.lib>\errclust.llb and modifying the control, but that's annoying to do with every installation.

I would even go so far as to say that NI should write a VI which will go through vi.lib and remove the text from all the existing VIs. I doubt this would have any backward compatibility issues, because I think the only place where those would be relevant is if someone is calling a VI in vi.lib dynamically AND setting the error in value, and frankly, those people deserve to be punished.

Active Participant
Thanks for the tip.  Every time I create a VI I delete the (no error)
--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast
(+1 kudo) I agree.  I delete "(no error)" all the time, too.
Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast

By the way, you can make this change yourself, by editing the Custom Controls, here:

• vi.lib\errclust.llb\Error In 3D.ctl

• vi.lib\errclust.llb\Error In.ctl

crossrulz
Knight of NI
At the very least change the label to not show the (no error) and leave the caption alone.  That will save me room on my block diagram.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
RGreg
Amen.
-------------------
Greg
Certifed LabVIEW Developer
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I would even go so far as to say that NI should write a VI which will go through vi.lib and remove the text from all the existing VIs. (AS I AM READING THIS QUOTE, THE THOUGHT IMMEDIATELY COMES TO MIND ABOUT USING "Set Control Values" FOR DYNAMICALLY CALLED VI'S....) I doubt this would have any backward compatibility issues, because I think the only place where those would be relevant is if someone is calling a VI in vi.lib dynamically AND setting the error in value, and frankly, those people deserve to be punished. (....AND THEN I READ THIS PART AND THOUGHT "Ha-HAAA! UP YOURS, 'Set Control Values', nobody likes you anyway!")

Alright, agreed, Kudos. Anyway, we need better way to dynamically launch VI's with the Fire-and-Forget method.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

This idea has invoked a discussion which led me to suggestion a generalization of this idea:

Show the default value of controls in subVIs which aren't required in the tip strip

While we are changing the error cluster, can we perhaps then make it a bit smaller ala LV Classes error clusters?
altenbach
Knight of NI

A default value (in parenthesis) should only be indicated in the label of a control ...

... if it is different from the default for the datatype.

jmorris
Active Participant

I don't like the idea of making error in a special case just because its so commonly used.  However, I do very much like the idea proposed by altenbach of changing the rule to not have the default value if it is different from the default for the datatype.  The only downside to that is you can't tell whether I didn't label a control's default value because it is the datatype default, or because I just forgot. 😛

Seems like the other idea mentioned by tst above might be the better implementation overall.  I'll give kudos to both, though, just in case.  🙂