LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

Generic shift register initialization

Sometimes I know I want an initiaized shift register, but I am not sure about the data type, because it might change during program development. Sometimes I have a cluster holding a few variables, but later I need to add a few more elements.

If I initialize the shift register with a diagram constant, things break whenever I change the cluster inside the loop and I need to redo the diagram constant by "delete the constant, right-click the SR,  create constant".

I would prefer a mode where the initialization is generic and simply adapts to whatever type is wired from the inside. This simply ensures that no data is retained between calls, just between iterations of the loop as often needed.

In summary, we should have an option to generically initialize a SR (or feedback node) and it would look different to indicate that fact. For example it could have a small cap as in the attached image.

11 Comments
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

I'll kudo this anyway. At some point I probably run into this, and the proposed solution does seem more elegant than a loop around a loop.