From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guruthilak

Floating Text Formatting tool

Hello,

I propose a new floating/Dockable Text formatting tool for editing the FP controls/Indicators as shown below.

untitled.GIF

Presently it takes multiple iteration to make a control Label to justify, bold,change the color , change the font etc.

This new floating bar can have the following features like

->Select font

->Text color

->Text Size

->Alignment/Justify

-> Bold, italic,underline

->etc etc

Also this floating bar can be put as part of the existing tools window here (circled in RED)

1.GIF

or as a replacement for the "Application font" selection ring

untitled.GIF

Regards

Guru

Regards
Guru (CLA)
7 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I fully support this! It's time for NI to upgrade their interface! I hate to have to expand my small dialog front panels to get access to the formatting tools and then shrink them back to restore the viewable part of the panel:

I want to align the selected controls, but the alignment buttons are hidden...Smiley Mad

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

I need to expand my window to access the Align Objects tools:

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

and then resize the panel again.

elset191
Active Participant

@X-) wrote:
I fully support this! It's time for NI to upgrade their interface! I hate to have to expand my small dialog front panels to get access to the formatting tools and then shrink them back to restore the viewable part of the panel:

A trick I use is to set the Minimum Panel Size to the current size after I have it where I want.  Then when it comes to downsizing after an alignment you can go straight to the right spot without having to do pixel by pixel mouse movements.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
CrystalTech

I agree NI has to upgrade the interface to meet the standards of the times.  It is way overdue.  This idea is rather good in the sense it could apply for the whole Menu/Tool bar to float.  It would then not matter what size the front panel is.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

@ elset191: this is a "trick" that would qualify as a "workaround" IMHO... You know better than I what it entails and its limitations!

My 2 cts.

elset191
Active Participant

By no means was I implying that my trick is a replacement for this idea.  Just trying to save some people some carpal tunnel until better means are implemented in LabVIEW.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Todd_Lesher
Active Participant

Ctrl-0 (that's zero) does this, right?

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Not quite.  Ctrl-Zero brings up a dialog, the idea is for a toolbar.  The dialog doesn't give you your changes until you press OK, while the toolbar would be more interactive with its immediate updating of the object.