LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_SAI

Enum / Constant Diagram Orientation

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Hi All,

This idea is so obvious I'm rather convinced there is a downside I haven't considered. (Before somebody mentions it- I have no problem with having rotated text on my BD). I have a feeling this comes down to personal aesthetic preference. Anyway, to the problem at hand:

When I use auto-block diagram cleanup, it gives me nasty enum placement. I propose a solution underneath.

enumOrientationIdea.PNG

What do you think?

6 Comments
Knight of NI

That just seems so wrong to me. I can't rotate my eyes 90 degrees.

macaba wrote:
When I use auto-block diagram cleanup, it gives me nasty enum placement. I propose a solution underneath.

What do you think?

I have a better solution: Don't use auto-block diagram cleanup.

Out of curiosity: what don't you like about the arrangement? Seems perfectly fine to me, other than the unnecessary bends in the wire.

Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 11-26-2009 10:49 AM
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Can't resist the temptation to link to Root Canal's Handy Samurai Tip #7.
Mark_SAI
Active Participant

smercurio_fc

auto-block diagram is so easy and tempting! I see your point though but I still can't figure out how to get something as neat as the solution even when crafted by hand.

The arrangement doesn't seem so bad there. But when I have a large chain of control engines and action engines, the stacking of enums by the auto-block diagram cleanup gets ridiculous!

I suppose in this case (from an application specific point of view of using action engines) I should wrap up my engines in polymorphic VIs.

crelf
Trusted Enthusiast

Rotated enums?  Yuck! 😛

I often put the enums under subVIs, butted right up against them so they look like polymorphic selectors - works great iff the enum items are short and the enum input on the subVI is required.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
GerdW
Knight of NI

Well, I think this wastes more diagram space than current behaviour...

I also want to remark that "rotated" text should be readable from the right side - at least that's the standard in Germany Smiley Wink

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.