From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Broken_Arrow

Don't Delete My Elements when I change my cluster style

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. We have no plans at this time to add the ability to change the style of an existing cluster border. More broadly, we are still researching the idea of providing "skinning" capabilities to VI front panels to change the style of all controls and indicators between different themes.

See the picture below for an example of (what I consider to be) a frustrating "feature".

Why delete the elements? Keep the elements and the element style types as is, just convert my cluster to the new style type.

Arrays also do this, but since we tend to spend more time designing clusters, it's far more frustrating than arrays.

ClusterReplace.png

Richard

9 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

Same for Radio Buttons: Create a modern radio button control and label the two items "alpha" and "beta". Now replace it with a system radiobutton control. Bam! The items are named again "Radio selection 1|2". 😞

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

What about a "Modernize", "Silverize" or "Classicalize" Edit option? With a "Modernize All", etc, version of course, so this can be applied recursively to all components of the object.

Why not. Kudo if NI can implement that.

Silver_Shaper
Active Participant

Where is the Metoo Button, wants to click.

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
RavensFan
Knight of NI

Sac wrote: 

Where is the Metoo Button, wants to click

You click the Kudo's arrow.  That is what increases the vote as something you want to see implemented.

DanSome

Changing a style can also kill associated property nodes, especially frustrating when you have a lot of them in your code, as I do for many graph controls!

JÞB
Knight of NI

This came up again see here

First, I do not think we want to change the RCM "Replace", "Create", or "Advanced" functionality.  I would rather see a new RCM "Change Style" between "Create" and "Data Operations."   For obvious reasons the option should be "Disabled" if the object is Strictly TD'd and auto updating (except in the control editor itself where, It would make sense to change the Strict Type Def's appearence)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
gerh

Just kudoed this idea.

It's merely annoying if a change of the design breaks the VI.

So, this idea should apply to all interchangeable objects, like controls/indicators with same datatype, containers and so on.

Hooovahh
Proven Zealot

I know the thread was linked to already, put to draw more attention to this I made a VI that should "Modernize" front panel contols in a VI.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Replace-cluster-bug/m-p/3148093#M906580

It works with Clusters and arrays replacing them, and their contents.  The code could be modified to just replace the cluster or array style leaving its contents, but the intent for me was to use it on API VIs that never are seen by the user, so replacing them all with modern was what I wanted.

Still Kudo'd

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. We have no plans at this time to add the ability to change the style of an existing cluster border. More broadly, we are still researching the idea of providing "skinning" capabilities to VI front panels to change the style of all controls and indicators between different themes.