From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PJM_Labview

Do not show "choose implementation" dialog by default when double clicking on a dynamically dispatched VI

Typically, when working with classes, one tend to work on one class at a time. Consequently, opening a specific dynamically dispatched VI (from another VI) should result by having the class implementation opened (like if it was opened from the lvclass). The Choose Implementation dialog should not be shown (in most cases).

10-16-2010 1-47-24 PM.png

I did some quick statistic, and in most situation, I care about the class implementation (about 80% of the time). In some instance I care about parent or children implementation (about 10-15% of the time). Finally, in some rare instance (<5% of the time) I care about the sibling implementation. Note: I confirm this with a few of my colleagues as well.

So what I am proposing is that by default we should not see the Choose Implementation dialog. When we specifically want to see this dialog we could use either of these methods:

• Access it through a menu option (Ex: View>>VI Implementation).
  • Access it through a right click menu (Ex: Open Implementation).
  • Use a key modifier such as adding SHIFT (so SHIFT + Double Click or SHIFT + CTRL + Double Click will open the Choose Implementation dialog).

Comment and improvements welcome.

vipm.io | jki.net

5 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

This seems like a generalized version of this idea.

I'm not sure whether I agree with your idea or not. I agree that it's certainly likely that I need the actual class wired into the VI more often than not, but without actual statistics, it's hard to say.

Personally, I probably wouldn't mind if this was implemented, but I have a feeling NI will not be as happy, as hiding the dialog will mean that novice users will not be aware of its existence.

Yes, I saw that idea that you proposed before posting mine and since, as you noticed, it is a generalization I went with it.

>> ...novice user will not be aware of its existence.

This is true; but there could be alternate methods to indicate this is a dynamically dispatched VI such as a clickable glyph (a little like the reentrant idea) that would open the dialog (this would not be my preferred implementation). Also, I am not completely convince that having this a little harder to find would be that bad.

>> ...but without actual statistics, it's hard to say.

Next time you are working with classes, try to see how frequently you need to pick another implementation than the class one.

For my part this dialog definitively gets in my way and does slow me down.

vipm.io | jki.net

Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast

How about the following:

After double-clicking a dynamic method, a dialog is immediately (and without any unresponsiveness) shown that says:

"Finding Method Implementations. Please wait..."

This dialog would have a button named:

"Cancel: Open Double-Clicked VI"

Also, if you pressed a special key while double-clicking the dynamic method, you could avoid the "choose implementation" dialog altogether.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

>>...if you pressed a special key while double-clicking the dynamic method, you could avoid the "choose implementation" dialog altogether.

I think that's an implementation more likely to be implemented. Even if PJM's original idea isn't implemented, I think this one should be - Just press Shift while double clicking the DD VI and the VI from the actual class will open. That said, this is less likely to happen without votes.

+1 for hotkey to skip -  I.e. hold shift + double click to open VI.

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion