From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dataflow_G

Ctrl + double-click a Type Def to open the type definition

This functionality is already available with the following setting:

Tools > Options > Front Panel > Open the control editor with double-click

This works on both the front panel and the block diagram. Note that when you're using the Auto Tool, the double-click must happen on the edge of the control/indicator/constant.

In the spirit of Ctrl + double-clicking a subVI to open it straight to the block diagram, Ctrl + double-clicking a type def control / constant / indicator should open the type definition. Just a bit quicker and more convenient than right-click -> Open Type Def.

ctrl_dbl-click_typedef.png

8 Comments
thols
Active Participant

Of course it should be like this. Makes sense.

I think it should be the same even if it is not a TypeDef -> the control editor opens. And normal dbl-click should navigate to the Control/terminal on the BD/FP.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Like this idea. But the amendment:

"I think it should be the same even if it is not a TypeDef -> the control editor opens."

would be something I would want quickly disabled. *Maybe* I could get behind it if it immediately did what popup item "Make Typedef" does. Easily creating non-typedef'd controls contradicts the ooch toward more well-defined types that LV has been working toward for the last decade, in my view.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Sometimes I have to customize a control just to set the decal of a Boolean, or to replace a decoration in a graph or picture control. (The 3 pixel border of the picture control is really annoying when you fit it to a pane.) That doesn't call for a type def...

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

wiebe: Sure. And for those cases, you can right-click and customize the control.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

@AristosQueue wrote:

But the amendment:

"I think it should be the same even if it is not a TypeDef -> the control editor opens."

would be something I would want quickly disabled

Ironically, this is the feature that already exists - the options dialog has an Open the control editor with double-click option in the front panel section. I don't believe there's a parallel option for the BD.

I doubt most people would set the existing option even if they were aware of it, because I expect going to the BD is more useful in the vast majority of cases.

Edit - just to clarify, the existing feature uses double click for going to the typedef. The feature suggested in the earlier comment was for Ctrl+double click to go to the typedef.

Status changed to: Already Implemented

This functionality is already available with the following setting:

Tools > Options > Front Panel > Open the control editor with double-click

This works on both the front panel and the block diagram. Note that when you're using the Auto Tool, the double-click must happen on the edge of the control/indicator/constant.

thols
Active Participant

I don't agree that it is already implemented. But perhaps I'm interpreting the OP incorrectly. The request was to open using "Ctrl + double-clicking a type". Most of the times you want to navigate to the BD/FP for the dbl-clicked control but occasionally you want to open the typedef. Therefore it would make sense to make Ctrl + double-click open the typedef. I have through the years sometimes tried to have the option Darren mentions active but always end up turning it off since I unintentionally open the TypeDef too often.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Dataflow_G

Thanks Thols, that summarizes the idea perfectly well. I tried the option mentioned by tst and while it replicates the spirit of the idea, I don't want to forego the find control/terminal double-click functionality. So while it is technically already implemented, it would be nice to be able to have both open control editor and find control/terminal functions accessible at once via (ctrl +) double-click.