LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blawson

Create a "Recently Used" Palette

There seem to me to be a couple of choke points in right-click access to VIs and functions.  One is that I frequently need to use the same VI's repeatedly.  Another is that the quite useful "insert" and "replace" context items only offer a few first-tier options: one or two related palettes, or all palettes.  Try to insert a few datalog functions for example, and you have to navigate down 6 levels for each. It's even worse if you have to use "select a VI..." and browse to it. For the worst cases, insert and replace lose their advantage over copy-paste or quick drop.

I propose a dynamically generated palette consisting of the last several VIs and functions (even controls) that have been dropped.  This is analogous to recent-commands-list functionalities common in CAD packages.

- As a member of the functions palette, the items in it are at or above the level they are in their normal place in the hierarchy.

- Since it's a palette you could pin it and it would be handy for dropping the same node on two different block diagrams

recentVIs1.png

recent_replace.png

-Barrett
CLD
17 Comments
RTSLVU
Trusted Enthusiast

This is a great idea! I find customizing pallets to be frustrating at best and never have figured out how to add to the "favorites" pallets or use the "quick drop".

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
cwolfskill

I especially think that this idea would be useful if the Recently Used palette also contained VIs that you browsed for (that are not in your palettes).  I often find myself in the situation where I want replace multiple instances of a subVI with the v2 version that I have created and saved.  The <Ctrl> + drag method won't work, because I want to replace existing ones to preserve my wiring, so I have to right-click>Replace>Browse>and then find the VI in the folder.  It would be much easier if I could just select it from the Recently Used Palette to replace.

RDR
NI Employee (retired)

It might be helpful to provide a palette option to sort palette categories dynamically based upon how often you use them and offer the option to pin certain palettes at the top of the list...Like a Windows 7 start menu for palette categories or subpalettes (not individual functions) sorted by how often a palette is used...

JÞB
Knight of NI

"...Like a Windows 7 start menu for palette "

NO! Next thing you know I'll need to press the  LabVIEW2.png key to get the LabVIEW menu.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Silver_Shaper
Active Participant

Good Idea to Implement.

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
vt92
Active Participant

This is a great idea.  LV2013 ??

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
ThiCop
Trusted Enthusiast

I don't know if you have already seen this: https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/14998

It partially implements what you are looking for.

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉