LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TiTou

Crash report

Available with NI Error Reporting feature in LabVIEW 2011 and later

It turns out that LabVIEW - like many other software product - happens to crash sometimes.

I think that's cool. Serious!

Why?

Because it makes room for a crash report feature of course, and there is a lot of fun you can have with a crash report.

Picture that : you've been working a bunch of hours on a project and voooooooooooosh... Crash. It's all gone. At this point, and unless you've been some kind of daredevil developper trying to do something you're not supposed to do (but there is no such lad in the LabVIEW community anyway), you would be fairly angree, right?

I honestly think that a crash report feature gives you the opportunity to let the steam out after a stressing experience, and therefore lower your chances to get a heart-attack. And if you're lucky someone will eventually read it and try to do something about it.

As for the feature itself, just get inspired : http://log.maniacalrage.net/tagged/cscr

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

6 Comments
TiTou
Trusted Enthusiast

I know I sound like I'm just being silly but serious, a crash report feature DOES make people feel better, you feel like your experience care, you feel that someone is listenning to you, you feel like someone is thinking about you and actually wants to lower your stress level.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

jgcode
Active Participant

I suggest everyone gets inspired 🙂

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Clarify please: Is this request for a better crash reporting system when the LV editor crashes so LV programmers can send the bug report to NI? Or is this a crash reporting system that a LV programmer could implement in his/her own code so that when their app crashes in front of their users, the bug report gets sent to the LV programmer?

TiTou
Trusted Enthusiast

I had in mind something really simple along the first option (better crash reporting system when LV editor crashes) but now that you're talking about it the second option is interesting too. Do you have any clear idea about how that could be done?

What *many* companies do is set up a bug tracking system that customers can access online, I think that works quite well and I'd be surprised if NI were to implement anything to cover that need 😮

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

@TiTou wrote:
What *many* companies do is set up a bug tracking system that customers can access online, I think that works quite well and I'd be surprised if NI were to implement anything to cover that need :-o

TiTou: saucy idea, let's discuss it here: New Idea: Publicize LabVIEW CAR Repo.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed
Available with NI Error Reporting feature in LabVIEW 2011 and later