BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Idea: Publicize CAR Repo

TiTou's comment spun off an Idea:

I'd like to get some feedback on whether or not this would be a good idea to create for the Idea Exchange: publicize the LabVIEW CAR Repository. This would apply to both active development of Releases and Betas.

Naturally, certain parts of bug tracking are private information, but some could be public. I'm proposing that at least the very least four items can be shown: CAR #, Title, Description, and Status (New, Assigned, Cannot Reproduce, Resolved...). Maybe another field called "additional notes". Maybe the person(s) who opened the bug (who is often a non-NI customer) could add further information to the bug report if it's still open (just like you can for the Beta bug reports) in the publicized "additional details" section.

The Repo should be searchable and sortable.

Some bugs could altogether be marked as private. Most would classify as public.

Your thoughts?

Message 1 of 7
(8,985 Views)

I think most of the info you are looking for would not be there.

A "bug fix" can be pulled at the last minute if Beta testing should issues. So publishing when it will be fixed will not be there.

The Status is the only data that would help or hurt. We could help escalte bugs that are clasified as trivial for example.

Concidering the amout of work required to keep the bug list updated, I think this idea will wither on the vine due to lack of support.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(8,976 Views)

JackDunaway wrote:

Your thoughts?

Alliance members may have access to more information in the CAR database than just anyone.

I'm saying this because I know that NI's public knowledge base (http://sine.ni.com/kb/) has much less information than NI's internal knowledge base (sorry I have no link for this one Smiley Wink). It would be a fastidious job, but I'm sure a part of it could be "declassified", in the end that would mean less phone calls for NI's support engineers.

I don't know how you guy do, but when facing a problem, my actions are (in the order and untill I find a solution) :

- search on NI's public knowledge base (http://sine.ni.com/kb/)

- search on forums (LAVA and NI)

- ask my coworkers

- call my dad (am I still the only one that can do that by the way? Smiley Surprised)

- call NI Technical support

- post on forums

- pray

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 3 of 7
(8,972 Views)

Hi Jack,

I should clarify.

Your idea was my idea some years ago. NI R&D has exposed a subset of the master bug list to the LabVIEW Champions. Based on how that bug list is currently being used and the information in it, I posted the above.

So I like the idea, the question is how to implement.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,947 Views)

I've tested some of the Open Source bug tracker, and they all allow you to configure who (with standard groups like reporter, tester, developer, manager) can see and edit which fields. Furthermore I saw that several non-free bug tracker just gave a cool front-end to an OpenSource one (+ support and documentation, I don't want to say that they make money with other peoples work).

In fact, in some OpenSource projects the bug tracker is providing better information as their forums (you really enjoy our forums when you did try to get some OS package working).

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,941 Views)

In breakpoint I thought "Car Repo" was about having your automobile towed for non-payment of lease/car payments! I think there is even a reality TV show in the States about that.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,905 Views)

It's been a few months pending, but I decided to make an Idea about publicizing the CAR Repository (in addition to other common Issue Tracking features): HA Bug Fixin'

The new critter in my signature also links to the Idea. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
(8,622 Views)