From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

Connector Pane Overhaul

Available in LabVIEW NXG 1.0. All connector pane terminals are the same size, and the pattern is specified as a grid of terminals (30x30, 40x40, 50x50, etc.).

It has been mentioned before (here, and here, and here) that there are some problems with the connector pane. Let me add my suggestions. Does the image below ring a bell? WHAT GOOD ARE ALL THOSE CONNECTOR PANES FOR?

WhatPaneAreYou.png

I suggest the following view:

ProposedConnectorPane.png

The "Define New Connector Pane" will allow you to contrive custom panes to suit your fancy. It could have templates of the current connector pane collection. Below is a pane you could create with the new editor (I would suggest combining the Icon Editor with the Connector Pane Editor!!!!). The only constraints that need to be imposed on a connector is that it is rectangular and touches the edge of the icon. Otherwise, you can make it however big you want it (for all the myopics out there like me!), and wherever you want it.

DefineNewConnectorPane.png

Two new concepts are introduced above: empty space, and the ability to land a wire NOT directly in the center of the connector. Placing the landing as close to the center as possible would alleviate the current problem of the "gapped wire" that does not touch slim icons (look at gap on top input and the output).

ConnectorPaneProblem.png

22 Comments
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW NXG 1.0. All connector pane terminals are the same size, and the pattern is specified as a grid of terminals (30x30, 40x40, 50x50, etc.).