LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregFreeman

Coercion dot color change if terminal is pink!

There is a coercion dot here. Anyone see it?!?! Can the color please be changed to something else if the terminal is pink? Especially if it's wired into a bundle.

8 Comments
Technico

maybe a small white border around the red dot would be sufficient

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I edited the picture to put a white border around the coercion dot. Here's the results:

CoercionBorder.png

It doesn't really help. We could make it blinking. I know -- that would be really noisy, but it would make it noticeable.

Another option I thought of was the black border:

CoercionBorder2.PNG

I'm not sure if that helps or hurts.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I've been considering making an Idea about a "Coercion Dot Manager" that would include features like showing a text list of all Coercion Dots in a VI, a button that would blink all coercion dots (think "Show Buffer Allocations"), being able to double-click coercions in the list which would pan to that part of the diagram and blink the dot (think of the "Find" functionality), and perhaps even allow the developer to associate permanent comments with Coercion Dots (e.g., to explain mitigated coercions). Would this be a desirable alternative?

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Jack wrote:

> I've been considering making an Idea about a "Coercion Dot Manager"

The VI Analyzer already provides that ability. I'd be more likely to encourage developers to use that tool more than to develop a second tool.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Sorry for hijacking the thread, Greg. Radar silence after this:

@Aristos Queue wrote:

The VI Analyzer already provides that ability. I'd be more likely to encourage developers to use that tool more than to develop a second tool.

True, true. However, a lightweight Coercion Dot Manager tool could stand on the customer-side of the $1k price barrier. Economics aside, coercion management might be an important enough design tool to break away from VIA - think about Show Buffer Allocations and Show Constant Folding (similar design tools to test performance). Further, the development of such a tool would be possible in G (BD >> Wires >> Terms >> Coerced?). addon_candidate tag, perhaps?

GregFreeman
Trusted Enthusiast

I will have to use the VI analyzer more as Aristos suggested. However, if I were to write my own (which I may) can you get a reference to coercion dots using scripting? I don't see it.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> can you get a reference to coercion dots using scripting?

No. Coercion dots aren't objects themselves. Terminals have a "Coercion Dot?" property that you can check --- turn on scripting to see it.

CoercionDot.png

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Black buffer allocation dots on dark blue integer tunnels are also a problem.

See this message.  http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Darren-s-Weekly-Nugget-07-20-2009/m-p/1300422#M536411