LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ErnieH

Build executibles that don't require a runtime engine

I would like to be able to create executables that don’t require the runtime engine in LabVIEW. Perhaps a palette of basic functions that can compiled without the runtime engine and an option in the application builder for that. I routinely get executables from programmers that don’t require a runtime installation. I just put it on my desktop and it runs. It would be nice that if I get a request, I could create, build, and send them an exe in an email without worrying about runtime engine versions, transferring large installer files to them, etc.

37 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

David: The last time I pulled down a version of Tetris, it had about 20 files, including files for the graphics, sound files, and the OpenGL DLL. There's really no such thing as "just tetris.exe" anymore. You can have an install that puts all of an EXE's files in a single directory, which tetris kindly did, making it easy to delete. The LabVIEW installer allows you to do that: you don't install the RTE into some permanent place, but instead appears on disk right next to your EXE.

David_Lieberman

Thanks.  I appreciate your interest.

Labview 11 is new to me and I have a lot to learn about Projects and building and installers which has changed radically from Labview 7.  Since Labview 11 came without any documentation I have to stumble around on the web site and frequently find myself going around in circles. 

If there is a place I can go to see how to build a labview exe with the runtime engine which does NOT require modifications to the Windows registry I would be greatful for a pointer.

IT departments hate user purchased software which requires a formal install.  In many companies it is simply forbidden because it is a support nightmare.  I developed a labview application in Labview 7 which did not require an install, which could be run directly from a CD.  When the user ejected the CD that was it;  no trace of the executable, of the labview runtime or reference to any of the above was on the user's computer.  That is what I am looking to do.

BTW, I did it for both Windows and MacOS.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Since Labview 11 came without any documentation I have to stumble around on the web site and frequently find myself going around in circles.

Really? What happened to your help files? They should have been there. The documentation is really complete these days, so if it is missing, the only thing I can think is that something must have happened during installation, so try reinstalling.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I'll see if I can find someone who is more of an expert in this area than I am to help you further.

Knight of NI

@David Lieberman wrote:

Since Labview 11 came without any documentation

When LabVIEW is installed a full help file is installed as well: Help -> Search the LabVIEW Help (you are using a legal version, right?). The Help is also available online.

As for getting a Runtime without an installer, this has been done in the past. However, this has primarily been a hack, as far as I know, and I don't believe NI supports this scenario.

selinz

The worst part is the fact that NI makes you log in. WIth Java and others, you don't have to create a separate account to run. However, NI requires you to create a log in...

gexge

I made a quick converter: you input a number, it gets multiplied by a constant and an indicator shows the result.

I want to share the EXE file with my coworkers. And with customers. The EXE file is 224KB.  Now all I have to tell the people that want to run the EXE is that they have to download a 356MB Runtime Engine. Or that I should supply said RTE myself.

Did I get it right? 

I do understand that it is easy to manage everything with a single large download (or install). But still, a "Hello World"-like program should never become larger than 1.44MB.