From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
shb

Bug Report: VI is broken in executable but not in development system

Moved to CAR database. CAR#337788

Attached is a VI which is broken in a built executable but runs in development node.

Please let the development system also show a broken VI or let the Runtime Engine accept this VI.

The problem is that the VI has subroutine priority and contains a static reference to a VI with another priority.

To reproduce include the VI in a build. (The VI can even be the only startup VI). Building passes but the executable reports an error after starting.

Tested LabVIEW Versions: 8.6, 2010 SP1, 2011

18 Comments
Knight of NI

What is the specific idea? Or, are you trying to really provide a bug report? I'm confused....

Were you thinking of this:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Application-Builder-should-test-for-broken-VIs-before-...

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

shb,

Are you looking to file a Corrective Action Request (CAR) for this issue or are you suggesting to add the feature that smercurio linked? If you run into issues like this, please work through the proper support channels (ni.com/support) to file the bug/CAR. The Idea Exchange are for ideas on new features only. If you are asking for a feature to be added like the one smercurio linked, then I will close out this idea as Duplicate. If you are looking to file a CAR, then I can do it for you this time and will then close out this idea as Not A Idea. R&D will have the issue reported to them so they can work on it but the idea won't remain open since it won't really be an idea.

shb
Active Participant
Active Participant

Yes, I want to report a bug/CAR.But I do not know how to do this correctly.

In http://www.ni.com/support I do not find any link for reporting a bug. And when I try to follow one of the procedures described on lava (to report a bug to ni) I am always redirected to the Service Request Manager. And I do not want technical support nor calibrate anything nor activate a product. The product suggestion centre links me to this Idea Exchange, so I posted the bug here.

Where is a description how to correctly report a bug? I searched for many keywords but did not find it. Maybe there is none or then it is well hidden.

I would like to report the bug myself for understanding how this would be done. Could somebody please give me a hint? (And thereafter this thread can be marked as Not An Idea.)

Greetings,

shb

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

Sorry shb. I didn't line out how to report a bug (CAR) very well. Here is a document lining out some different things on the process (http://labviewwiki.org/LabVIEW_Bug_Reporting). The best way to report a bug is to call technical support (Contact An Engineer button on the right side of the ni.com/support page). You can either email or call them and explain the issue. They will be able to create the bug report for you and the process is actually quite easy. Again, I'm sorry you're running into this issue and also that I didn't line out the process for reporting better but please give our Applications Engineers a call and we will get you all lined out. Thanks!

shb
Active Participant
Active Participant

No worries. And thank you.

The bug report is placed at NI. I had an SRQ and asked off topic how to report a bug. He told me to tell or email him. Sending the link to this thread was easier. (I phoned NI despite of the Service Request Manager telling me I do not have a Service Program. It always forgets about it.)

The chapter "Reporting Bugs to National Instruments" in LabVIEW_Bug_Reporting is outdated. When following the given link there is no possibility to select "Reporting a Bug". (This is the way I reported some bugs some time ago.) Could somebody update the chapter, please?

And maybe NI should extend the service request manager with a link for bug reporting or a short description.

I will append the CAR number once I know it.

Greetings,

shb

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

A structured platform for bug reporting and tracking would be helpful for situations like this.

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

shb,

Thanks for the update. Maybe we can get some of the LAVA guys that monitor the Idea Exchange to correct that wiki. I don't know if it's just my connection or what but there wasn't any text when I clicked on the link for the wiki.

Jack,

I agree and you sir just got my kudos. Mostly for the image of the bug/feature but also because I liked the idea 🙂

shb
Active Participant
Active Participant

G-Money,

sorry! The link in my post IS broken. There are some additional characters appended (%EF%BB%BF). Obviously I failed to copy the link from your post. (It would be very nice when a moderator could fix this.)

Jack,

you got my kudo too. Because of obvious reasons.  Smiley Happy  Smiley Indifferent  Smiley Happy

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

shb,

I must not have had my coffee when I tried to click your link because I didn't even process you were pointing to the same place I pointed you to. I created a new account on the LabVIEW Wiki and edited the process myself. It should be correct now for the exact process on submitting a bug. I also changed your link in your comment. Let us know once you hear what the CAR # is that gets assigned to your bug and then I will close out your idea and point to your CAR #. Again, sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for reporting the issue.

shb
Active Participant
Active Participant

Finally: CAR#337010

G-Money, could you please check the mentioned CAR is really about this topic and close the idea? Thanks.