From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manu.NET

Auto-corrected "TabPage enum" when modifying TabPage labels ...

Any idea that has received less than 9 kudos within 9 years after posting will be automatically declined.

It should be nice to be able to create a "typedef enum" for the pages of a tabcontrol ...

So the modification of a tabPage label could be automaticaly propagated to constants ..

The problem is ... When you modify the pages labels, and if you use the constant value associated with the pages ...

The associated wires are then brocken ... They are not automatically modified Smiley Mad

When you only want to modify the Label of a tabPage (For example to correct a mistake), the Vi will no more work !

An other idea would be to add a kind of "Caption" to the tabPages, in order to disociate the 'Display name' and the Variable name ...

Here a short example ...

TabPage1.PNG

TabPage2.PNG

Other Idea : (From the well known Roms)

It should be nice to create the TabPages of a TabControl automaticaty  from a typedef enum, and keep the link between the two items.

=> Modification of the TabPages modifies the typedef enum

=> Modification of the typedef Enum, modifies the TabControl content

Manu.net
10 Comments
TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

Right click on the tab, Advanced->customize.

Set the control as a type-def (not a strict typedef) and save.

Et voila your issues are solved.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
manu.NET
Active Participant

If for every control and indicator you have to create a typedef in order to create

a professionnal application ... I think it is not very user friendly ...

Ok for the moment i also use to build many typedef's ... ( because it's an obligation ! )

Manu.net
Marc Blumentritt
Why it is not very user friendly? How should it be done otherwise? How should LabVIEW now, that this tab (or enum or cluster) should be a typedef or not?
CLD
manu.NET
Active Participant
Your right !
Manu.net
PJM_Labview
Active Participant

Although I also use the typedef "trick" to synchronize the TAB control enum, I am wondering if there are any use case(s) where someone would want a TAB control where the enum is not a typedef (where it does not update when you edit the tab control)?

This behavior is quite confusing for LabVIEW beginner and maybe there is something that can be done to make it easier and more intuitive...

vipm.io | jki.net

RavensFan
Knight of NI
The only use case I can think of is where I use the tab control strictly as a container to separate different front panel controls rather than something I read from or write to programmatically.  The tab terminal just sits off in lonely space in the block diagram.  There is no reason for me to go through the trouble to make it a typedef.  But if it was a typedef, that would be okay as well.
TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

Maybe this can be expanded in a broader idea>

Easy creation of Typedefs. Right click on any control and select 'Create Typedef' which will ask for a filename. and a typedef is created.

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

> Right click on any control and select 'Create Typedef' which will ask for a filename. and a typedef is created.

You mean something like this? Should be pretty easy to adapt to controls.

Active Participant

This looks like a duplicate of this idea.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 9 kudos within 9 years after posting will be automatically declined.