LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
moderator1983

Auto Optimization Tool

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

I would always like to see an Auto Optimization Tool (AOT), that will actually suggests and corrects not just Rube Goldberg Code but also unnecessary/unused codes. I understand, based on continuous advancements in the LabVIEW compiler, compiled code generated from the VI are optimized to great extent... but we like to see if in the source code itself, some sort of optimization can be done so that a developer (specially learners like me) also gets to know that, in what different ways code can be optimize or what section of their code can be removed without affecting the functionality.

AOT 1

Now after I select AOT, similar to BDCT, it should make the code optimized. There should also be an available option, just to list, wherever this tool feels correction is required and let developer to take a call whether modify it or leave as it is.

AOT 2

Few examples what AOT should be capable of:

1. Remove Coercion Dots:

Remove Coercion Dots

2. Remove Unnecessary Constants:

Remove Unnecessary Constants

3. Remove Unnecessary Code:

Remove Unnecessary Code

well there is no end of types of 'unnecessary codes'... Smiley Surprised

Any other suggestion you want to add, is most welcome... Smiley Happy

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

14 Comments
moderator1983
Active Participant

Hi,

I appreciate your all feedbacks...Smiley Happy

I would like to clarify:

--> VI Analyzer never suggests where unnecessary codes (or unnecessary constants) are and can be removed.

--> If anybody is emotionally attached with there code and don't want LabVIEW to change it, they can probably just want to see, where all changes are suggested by AOT or even they shouldn't use this.

--> This tool will definitely help in learning, as AOT will not do things instantly, but it will list the changes suggested and user/developer can choose/review before he lets AOT make changes.

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

I would argue that in examples 1 and 2 the "unoptimized" code is actually better, while the third case is unlikely to happen.

magicbean

I quitre often use 'inefficient' LabVIEW code as an intermediate step when debugging (e.g ANDing with a boolean constant to turn code on or off). I can't think of many cases when I would want LabVIEW to reorganise my code to that extent without me realising what it had done. Code is often in an intermediate state when it could be sensibly optimised but once completed that optimisation might no longer have been applicable.

I would rather the LabVIEW team fixed the quirks of the current 'Clean Up Selection' tool which makes nested diagrams explode and completely breaks complicated applications!

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.