LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
joshuatree

Assigning Chart's History Data

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

The only method available to assign all the data from one chart to another is to use the History Data property node.  

chart property.png 

Without using the property node, all you get is the last value of the chart.   

Take for example this use case:

I have several functional globals holding unique chart data.  Using one Front Panel chart on the main VI, i swap whichever operations data i'd like to see in and out of that chart.  Currently, i have to fumble around with searching for the correct reference number of the Func Global chart and use a property node to do my data assignment.  Totally inefficient! 

Adding the ability to select assignment of the entire history to the "Data Operations" context menu, and making the chart polymorphic to recognize the input difference would be incredibly helpful. 

3 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI
Personally, I just use an XY graph and keep the data in a buffer. You can see an example implentation here.
Message Edited by tst on 14.12.2009 08:04 PM

Thanks for that link,  i can never get enough "best practice" tips!!!  

the bad thing about graphs though, is you can't do cool things like:

chart property2.png 

😕   which i haven't been able to convince my coworker to move away from... 😉  (he's been here awhile...)

but nonetheless, using property nodes for data assignment is just not cool.  you can already assign an array of points to a chart,  let's just implement a better way of retrieving old values.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.