LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daklu

Additional glyphs for project explorer

Any idea that has received less than 8 kudos within 8 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I like the glyphs in the project explorer window that indicate the scope of each vi.  I would find it extremely helpful if glyphs were added to indicate a VI's override status.  (Must override, overrideable - normal dynamic dispatching, and not overridable - static dispatching)
9 Comments
crelf
Trusted Enthusiast
yes Yes YES!  I'd also like a glyph over the VIs that are override VIs.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast
It would be nice if we could change these settings from the Project Explorer context menu, just like how we can change Scope from the context menu.
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> It would be nice if we could change these settings from the Project Explorer

> context menu, just like how we can change Scope from the context menu.

Out of curiosity...

we've been deliberately avoiding loading up the pop up menus with a lot of noise, and given all the item settings that are becomming possible, it could be a lot of noise when you pop up on any VI owned by a library, but especially the specialized libraries (xctl, lvclass). Is that a direction you'd want us to trend? Have we been too conservative in what we create pop ups for? 

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Back on the main topic...

> I'd also like a glyph over the VIs that are override VIs.

It's a 16x16 icon. We're essentially out of space to represent any furhter information in the icon. Any proposals?

Daklu
Active Participant

> It's a 16x16 icon. We're essentially out of space to represent any furhter information in the icon. Any proposals?

Actually, when you include the access scope key the icon area is 16x20.  There is room under the key for arrows to indicate inheritance.

proj_window_glyph.png

The arrow pointing up indicates this vi overrides a parent vi.  The arrow pointing down indicates this vi can be overriden in child classes.  Red for must inherit; green for may inherit.  Of course, I don't see any reason why the main part of the icon can't be obscured a bit if you wanted to do something a bit nicer.  Something like the Windows shortcut glyph in the upper left and lower left corners wouldn't prevent users from being able to see that there's still an object block under there.

> we've been deliberately avoiding loading up the pop up menus with a lot of noise

As one who dislikes large or deeply nested pop up menus, I think this would be a worthwhile addition.

Daklu
Active Participant
As an aside, I posted an idea here that would alleviate much of my objection to deep pop up menus.
Intaris
Proven Zealot

AQ, if the 16x16 (or 16x20) is too small, what about the background colour for the item?

Or just making the icons 16x32 wide?

edupo_I

I agree, today I worked overriding some VI (LV2011) and could be very helpful if I know wich methods are mandatory to override and wich vi's are overrided vi's by icon on the project explorer.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 8 kudos within 8 years after posting will be automatically declined.