From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darin.K

Add LV version to window title

When I am running multiple version of LV at the same time I have a hard time telling by sight which version a given VI belongs to.  As others have noted, double-clicking opens the last version used, regardless of the VI version.  This leads to occasional upconversion when an 8.6 VI is opened in LV2009 and subsequently saved.  Every time I want to create a new VI I have to double-check which version I have open using 'About LabVIEW' or checking for subtle differences in the pallettes.  I would appreciate it if the version appeared in the title bar of the window.  In fact, any visual cue would be helpful.
5 Comments
TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

Hi Darin,

I guess you allready know the INI token ShowExePathinWindow.

showExePathInWindowTitle=TRUE

(just for reference)

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I did learn about the INI key after this request, so I would ask that we get something a little less verbose.  I do like the idea of making it a separate key.

showLVVersionInWindowTitle=TRUE

Darren
Proven Zealot

I was thinking about writing an idea for the exchange about including the LabVIEW version within the LabVIEW icon itself, like Visual Studio does:

vs_icon.png

Should I make that a new idea, or should we include it as part of this one?

mzaleski
@Darren:  I think modifying the icon itself is sufficient. We don't lose any space on the title bar, it is visible in both normal windows and on the Windows task bar.
Darren
Proven Zealot

I went ahead and posted a new idea about including the version number in the app icon.

-D