From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

A Better "Find Missing Items" and "Find Items with No Callers" in Projects

Currently: When you "Find Missing Items" in a project, it thinks a few seconds (on a large project) and pops up a non-resizable window. You can double click on an item in the list, which closes the Missing Items list and it highlights the missing item in the project. You remove that item (or relink it) in the project, and then have to "Find Missing Items" again. Wait a few seconds, rinse, repeat...

Proposed:

1. When you double click on an item in the Missing Items list, do not close the list - leave it open, and gray out items that have been taken care of and are no longer "missing" (like the find dialog, when you delete a found item).

2. Allow the columns to be sorted by clicking on the header Name, Location in Project, or Path (this one holds a dear place in my heart)

3. Finally, allow the window to be resizable (a common request...).

(I have given the example for "Find Missing Items"... you can apply the same concepts to "Find Items with No Callers") 

Message Edited by mechelecengr on 08-26-2009 02:19 PM
14 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
I know some work was done to improve project Find in LV 2009. Were any of these objections solved in the new version?
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
The behavior I described above is with LV2009. You can duplicate by right clicking on the root node in the project tree and selecting "Find Items with No Callers" or "Find Missing Items".
Simon_Holman

It would also be nice if you could filter out vi's from vi.lib/inst.lib/user.lib

Simon Holman
Software Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified TestStand Developer

measX GmbH & Co. KG.
http://www.measx.com
dthor
Active Participant

I just started having to use the "Find Missing Items" feature, and after using it twice I went directly to the Idea Exchange to post exactly this. Kudos!

Sadly this is such an old Idea it will probably fall by the wayside.

dthor
Active Participant

Oh, and for the record, #3 has been implemented (not sure when, but it's in 2012). The most important one for me is #1.

Darren
Proven Zealot

1. I don't know when we will get around to allowing the dialog to stay open, that will require a fair bit of work and testing.

2. If all goes as planned, the columns will be sortable in LabVIEW 2013 beta 2.

3. The Project Find dialog became resizable in LabVIEW 2011.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

@Darren wrote:

1. I don't know when we will get around to allowing the dialog to stay open, that will require a fair bit of work and testing.

3. The Project Find dialog became resizable in LabVIEW 2011.

Kudos! As for #1, any chance this dialog could be shipped wihout password protection (or source provided caveat emptor, à la the Icon Editor)? There are plenty of "us" able and willing to help trick out the IDE, feeding back into the collective body of knowledge and open source IDE improvements. 🙂

Darren
Proven Zealot

@JackDunaway wrote:

...any chance this dialog could be shipped wihout password protection...?

Not likely any time soon, this dialog contains a large number of private VI Server property and method calls.

fabric
Active Participant

@Darren wrote:

Nice! 

One small additional request here: I often use CTRL+G to flick through the search results after the dialog has closed... It would be nice if the CTRL+G ordering is updated as the columns are sorted.

Darren
Proven Zealot

@fabric wrote:

It would be nice if the CTRL+G ordering is updated as the columns are sorted.

It appears that the Ctrl-G functionality is in the C++ code. So if that gets changed, it will be by somebody other than me. 😉