LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vix

64-bit Database Toolkit

Available with LabVIEW 2019 and later. 

The 64-bit version of Database Toolkit hasn't been release yet and the usage of 32-bit version with LabVIEW 64 isn't officially supported.

I think it's time to release it...

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
37 Comments
SnowMule
Active Participant

The whole database toolkit needs some work.

Brian_Powell
Active Participant

If you copy the various files for the database toolkit from 32-bit to 64-bit, it will work.

However, there are performance issues.  The toolkit uses 32-bit ActiveX objects to do its work.  When you call 32-bit ActiveX from 64-bit LabVIEW, it has to communicate to a separate process.  Not all operations are slow, but I never really benchmarked it to characterize the behavior.

If you vote for this, please comment on how important performance is for you.  Making the existing toolkit install on 64-bit is much easier than rewriting to use a newer database interface under the hood.

vix
Active Participant
Active Participant

While using databases, performance is really important!

You usually have to handle huge amount of data, so performance is one of the most important aspects to focus on.

Copying files from 32-bit to 64-bit could only be a temporary workaround, but not a real option.

But is this approach officially supported by NI?

Vix
In claris non fit interpretatio

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
Brian_Powell
Active Participant

Without an installer, copying the files isn't officially supported by NI.

pobrepablo1
I'd really like to see a true 64 bit implementation as well. I had to roll my own solution using direct calls to the MS Access ActiveX objects. It took quite some time. But I suppose NI can't call Microsoft's code? Or rely on them having the run-time engine installed.
pobrepablo1
Actually... now that I look at your internals that's what labview is doing. it's just wrappers around calling microsoft's ado functions. So why then is it at *all* difficult just to link them to the 64 bit versions? Might require a bit of manually crawling through the VI's and updating them, but this is as simple as it gets, unless I'm misunderstanding something.
Wranky
NI Employee (retired)

It's 2015 right now and this problem bothers lots of customers here in Taiwan
Shouldn't database linking to image processing a common application?

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Updating this toolkit has not been a top priority for National Instruments. It is a "like to have" not a "must have" for us.

Your solution is to make the database calls directly. Your database software in most cases has DLLs that can be invoked to perform database operations. You can use the Call Library Node to make calls into the DLLs. 

There is a community effort to supply MySQL functionality for 64-bit that you may want to explore:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-10453 

Alternatively, the 32-bit version of LabVIEW will run on 64-bit platforms and may suffice for many users' needs.

We realize that many users would like to have a pre-rolled toolkit from National Instruments, but we have not had the bandwidth to support this along with the other priorities that our customers have asked us to work on.

Wranky
NI Employee (retired)

Hi 

crossrulz
Knight of NI

There were some extra characters at the end of the link Stephen gave.  Try this one: Native LabVIEW TCP/IP Connector for mySQL Database

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5