LabVIEW FPGA Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marc Blumentritt

Configurable single-cycle case structure

The first thing you hear about programming FPGAs with LabVIEW is: use single-cycle loops. But if you build a state machine (while-loop + enum + case structure), in many cases you cannot make the outer while loop in a single cycle-loop, because not every state fits into a single-cycle loop. Therefore you have to place the single cycle-loop into every case, which has to run in one cycle, which takes up block diagramm space and is cumbersome. Therefore my idea to create a single-cycle case structure: it uses the same compiling mechanism of the single-cycle loop on every case, which is capable of running inside a single cycle. It would be nice, if this behaviour is configurable, meaning I can decide from case to case, if it is a single-cycle case or not. Some kind of right-click menu options like these: "make this case single-cycle", "make every possible case single-cycle", etc. Of course the mode of the case (single-cycle or not) should somehow be displayed.

Regards,

Marc

CLD
1 Comment
nturley
NI Employee (retired)

I use state machines all the time in a SCTL.  You don't need the while loop if you are already in an SCTL.  If you have too much logic in a single loop iteration, then you can use feedback registers to pipeline it.

-Neil