LabVIEW 2021 Public Beta

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building an application fails

It's with LV21 0b11 on MacOS 11.3:

Building a stand alone LV application fails. It's a build that worked fine in the previous LV2020. It also fails the same way if a create a new build specification from scratch.

LV says the build was unsuccessful and the details show:

Click the link below to visit the Application Builder support page. Use the following information as a reference:

Error 6 occurred at Read from Binary File in AB_Engine_Add_File_to_Zip.vi->AB_Engine_Package_App.vi->AB_EXE.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_Build.lvclass:Build_from_Wizard.vi->AB_UI_Frmwk_Build.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_UI_FRAMEWORK.vi->AB_Item_OnDoProperties.vi->AB_Item_OnDoProperties.vi.ProxyCaller

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: (Hex 0x6) Generic file I/O error.

/Users/urslauterburg/Documents/LVWireworks2021-64bit/builds/WaveDemo2021/WaveAspectsEn2021.app/Fourier-Synthesis.vi

Actually in the bild specifications one is not able to select a location for the support directory. The build specification template always shows a greyed out old file path there

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,825 Views)

Hi Urs!

The grayed out Support Directory path is normal; macOS has become more strict about the layout of application bundles such that putting extra files in the wrong folders can cause applications to be unable to be code signed and rejected by Gatekeeper.  So the Support Directory must be in the Contents/Resources folder inside the application.  If shows up as set to some other value but still grayed out, that sounds like a bug.

Would it be possible for you to send us your project (a subportion of it) so we can reproduce the File I/O error?  It's fine to strip out unneeded VIs/IP or replace with stubs and only provide the bare minimum needed to reproduce the problem.  (Please email Christina if so.  Thanks!)

Also, just to verify, is this on the M1 Mac under Rosetta that you mentioned in another thread.  I have seen some odd File I/O errors intermittently when running on M1 that do not occur on Intel; we are still investigating that, and this could be the same issue.

Best Regards,

Craig Smith

LabVIEW R&D

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,748 Views)

Hi Craig, great to get your reply! Yes, like I stated, the problem occurs with the LV21.0b11 beta on a M1 Mac that runs MacOS 11.3 at the time. Actually, the build works fine from the same lvproj with the same LV21.0b11 which is installed on a Intel processor MBPro under MacOS 10.13.6 (I keep it this way because it serves me well with DAQmx Base still running). It indeed looks like some kind of a file access issue that the app builder relies on. In fact the build was done with one of my longtime LV project that I have brought along over time also for testing reasons and it includes quite a lot of VIs.

How do you want me to proceed? The easiest for me is to send you the whole lvproj that also includes the build specification that causes troubles along with all associated VIs. A simpler build specification within the same lvproj works fine with a subset of the code but the main one fails. In fact I provided the content of the application builder error in my initial mail. Does that already give you a clue?

Actually the simpler build is just made from one single VI whereas the one that fails includes a set of VIs that are called dynamically by a main caller (the main VI).

In any case, I wait for your response before I provide the LV code. How will I be able to transfer it to you? You may want to contact me by private mail for this.

THX a lot!

Urs, the Mac LVer

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,743 Views)

Hi Urs,

If you don't mind sharing the whole lvproj, that would be fine.   If the project is small enough to zipped up and emailed, that would be easiest.

You can send it directly to either me or Christina Rogers.  I believe you already have both of our emails from previous correspondences.

The first thing we'll do is try to isolate whether the problem is specific to macOS 11.x (Big Sur) or specific to the M1, and then work from there.

Thanks for reporting this issue and for being a Beta tester on the Mac!

Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,735 Views)

Hi,

did you found a way of solving the problem ?

I get the same symptoms with the new M1 which only works on big sur

fortunately I still have intel macs which run under catalina or before but I can't compile when i'm not at the office ...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,483 Views)

Hi Pascal,

Well in the meantime I am with the full LV2021 (V21.0) PDS for MacOSX 11.6 on my M1 MBPro and I am still not successful to build apps with the app builder on the M1. On Intel Macs it does work but so far not in the M1 environment. The problems seem to originate in some sort of file paths mixups. I have only tried to build from within lvproj projects which I moved from older LVs to the M1 though. Maybe it would work with projects that are entirely created in LV 2021 in the new environment. I have not gone that far yet due to the lack of hardware drivers. I do pray to get driver capabilities back in some ways to keep on working natively in the MacOS environment on the new Apple chip sets as well!

Happy wireworks forever!

Urs

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,455 Views)

Hi Pascal again,

Alright in the meantime I was able to create a stand alone app with the LV2021 application builder in the M1 environment too! The solution was to create an entirely new build specifications set. You also need to specify a new destination directory. It seems that the former build specifications keep the old destination paths which are no longer valid in the new environment. So at least I have proven that the app builder does work in the LV2021 for MacOS in the M1 environment as well!

Hope that this will help you to keep on doing the good work!

Regards

Urs

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,450 Views)

Maybe an Application Builder Compiled Object Cache problem?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,446 Views)

Hi Everyone,

Just as a reminder, NI doesn't yet support LabVIEW on M1. If you're running LabVIEW 2021 with Rosetta 2, you may run into known issues.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,434 Views)

OK, it is not officially supported but it worked (!!)

The problem is not only on application builder

when i transferred all my session on my new mac, everything worked fine and i could work with LV2021 without any problem on M1 + Big sur

until the moment where i had to compile my app

application builder was not validated so i had to re-install the whole Labview

and then i began to have problem with just opening some vi's where LV couldn't find some sub's but  ... not every time the same .. and after a while it succeeded in charging it

just like there where a speed problem with the file system

So the question is (before solving the application builder problem) ... why a copied LV did work and why a whole installation cause problem ?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,432 Views)