Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-CPU Timing Issue (Generic I/O error)

Greetings!

I'm currently working on the development of a Flash Photolysis instrument using Labview 2009 and have recently upgraded our computer but have run into some issues. At random points there is a generic I/O error within the messagesend.vi, but the errors do not occur when using the lamp tool. After doing some research I have found that upgrading our computer has caused some timing issues where the instrument and the computer are not communicating properly.

I was curious if anyone has had experience in changing the PCI-GPIB card settings so that the instrument will ping properly with the computer and fix this timing issue.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,367 Views)

That kind of timing issues is probably more a question of bad programming (race conditions, and not using the error lines).

Ofte these come up when moving to a new cpu but to be sure you need to send the program.

You can attach a zip file with all of your program.

greetings from the Netherlands
Message 2 of 4
(4,351 Views)

I believe you're right! I've found that my error occurs at the GPIBwrite command, would the two strings here cause a race condition during the writing process?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,331 Views)
Hi
This vi is ok. All wires that are connected to a function or subvi are guaranteed to have a value before the function or subvi is executed.
Search for local variables and value property nodes, these are very prone to race conditions.
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,312 Views)