From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-CPU Timing Issue (Generic I/O error)

Greetings!

I'm currently working on the development of a Flash Photolysis instrument using Labview 2009 and have recently upgraded our computer but have run into some issues. At random points there is a generic I/O error within the messagesend.vi, but the errors do not occur when using the lamp tool. After doing some research I have found that upgrading our computer has caused some timing issues where the instrument and the computer are not communicating properly.

I was curious if anyone has had experience in changing the PCI-GPIB card settings so that the instrument will ping properly with the computer and fix this timing issue.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,359 Views)

That kind of timing issues is probably more a question of bad programming (race conditions, and not using the error lines).

Ofte these come up when moving to a new cpu but to be sure you need to send the program.

You can attach a zip file with all of your program.

greetings from the Netherlands
Message 2 of 4
(4,343 Views)

I believe you're right! I've found that my error occurs at the GPIBwrite command, would the two strings here cause a race condition during the writing process?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,323 Views)
Hi
This vi is ok. All wires that are connected to a function or subvi are guaranteed to have a value before the function or subvi is executed.
Search for local variables and value property nodes, these are very prone to race conditions.
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,304 Views)