From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the HTML editor so inefficient ?

Hi Molly !
As tst says, "I hate to loose posts !". The fact that we are returned to a blank page, without any chance to recover our work, each time a post is not accepted by the NI server, has been a real pain for an already long time.
Things are made worse by the inefficiency of the HTML editor since posts are rejected for being more than 5000 chars just because HTML tags are abusively embedded in the posts. Attached is an example of text, 1663 chars long, that has been turned into a 7457 chars long document by the forum editor ! The text was not imported, just directly typed in. I have the feeling that this is far from optimal 😉
I believe that there are a few maneuvers that should be avoided to minimize such abusive HTML formatting. Could you help ?
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Download All
Message 1 of 7
(5,940 Views)

Go frog go!

I have lost multiple "over 5000" postings.

I have never attempted to re-write them once they are lost.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,927 Views)
I typically do a "select all"...control C before trying to post. ...Burned too many times. 😉

I especially hate these IBM laptop keyboards with these idiotic Prev/Next keys right next to the regular cursors. If I accidentally hit e.g. the left one, it's like pressing the BACK button of the browser and I immediately and irreversibly loose all text I just composed. 😞 An immediate forward gets me back an empty form.

Message Edited by altenbach on 04-25-2006 07:10 AM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,922 Views)

Ben a écrit: ... I have lost multiple "over 5000" postings. I have never attempted to re-write them once they are lost.

I have been lucky with that one. I made an in extremis copy before posting... There are a few of my posts that were never sent for that reason.  I wonder how many of us have been frustrated for loosing a lengthy contribution. As a matter of fact, these "long" contributions are usually adressed to the community, while short replies, easier to re-type in case of failure, are mostly devoted to simple technical problems... Means that we are loosing the most important contributions ! 😉

Molly, something has to be done !..

Message 4 of 7
(5,918 Views)

"Means that we are loosing the most important contributions ! "

Yep.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,911 Views)

We have the "losing long posts" issue on the list as well as the "large attachments lose posts" issue.  I continue to tell the developers that these are major issues, but I will talk louder and jump up and down next time I tell them about it so they know these are serious!

This is a new one though, so I will be sure to report it too.

Thanks!

Molly K.
Web Support & Operations Manager
National Instruments
Message 6 of 7
(5,873 Views)

Molly K a écrit:... I will...jump up and down next time I tell them about it...

Please Molly, try to get some pictures and remember to post the best shots. 😄

Message 7 of 7
(5,861 Views)