From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW versions on attachments

It would be helpful to those who reply if the version used by the original poster was easily available. Perhaps when someone attaches code, the form could include a request for the version and platform.

I think that once we get used to it, the new format will be seen as a substantial improvement.

Thanks,

Lynn
Message 1 of 6
(5,158 Views)
johnsold -

This is a great idea. It is one of the features we considered for this launch, but unfortunately it did not make the final cut. I will make sure that it is still on our list of things we would like to add to the community in the future.

Thanks for seeing the light at the end of the learning curve! 🙂
Molly K.
Web Support & Operations Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,153 Views)

This looked like the most closely related existing thread...

There seem to be quite a lot of version-conversion requests and I'm wondering why NI can't / won't provide a simple automated service to do this for forum members. 

Caveats could be:

1. Service limited to forum members, each of whom get some type of quota.  I would think a per-week or per-month quota might be best.  I forsee people wanting to convert 1 whole 3 MB project right away, then not use the service ever again.

2. Conversions could be saved up to run as an overnight batch job if this helps NI's computing resources.

3. Result could be made available through ftp site.  Email the requestor a link to the file.  I'm not an ftp-server guy, but I would expect one could make it GUID-like "impossible" for someone to snoop their way into this file without the link.

4. Ftp site purged of all files > 3 days old.

5. No human intervention.  Error messages are packaged with email note.  If conversion completely fails, too bad.  Go ask nicely in the forums.

Thoughts anyone?

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 3 of 6
(4,991 Views)

Here is my thought:

The solution has to be available for everyone. Just for instance - for security purposes it is not available to access a ftp-server from a computer in my company. And I'm quite sure this is not the only company with such restrictions.

I just can point to the LAVA forums once more (although I'm very seldom browsing through it ;)) - there is a property "version" where you can see the posters current LV version in use. This could help to identify how to post code (picture or vi).

Here is a picture of it:

Thomas

Message Edited by becktho on 04-03-2006 07:16 AM

Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
--------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,966 Views)
Kevin -
Interesting idea.  I will share this with some people here to see what they think would be feasible.
Thanks!
Molly K.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,845 Views)
becktho -
Adding fields to the user profiles is likely a much simpler task than what Kevin had proposed.  I have added your post to that request that we have sent to the developers.
Thanks!
Molly K.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,842 Views)