Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I attach large files to the topics I post on this forum?

I have a real question I would like to post on this forum, relating to program slowness, but I can't post it because the vi program I'm attaching is too large for the topic to be posted. It's approximately 64mb, and that's with file compression. So I was wondering if there is an alternative method of attaching large files to our topic posts? Or is this a fixed limit? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,142 Views)

Fixed limit.

Check all of the controls and indicators that were saved with data in them. That can often bloat the size of VIs.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,133 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Check all of the controls and indicators that were saved with data in them. That can often bloat the size of VIs.

... and don't use express VIs 😄

@ShogunOrta wrote:

I have a real question I would like to post on this forum, relating to program slowness, but I can't post it because the vi program I'm attaching is too large for the topic to be posted. It's approximately 64mb, and that's with file compression. So I was wondering if there is an alternative method of attaching large files to our topic posts? Or is this a fixed limit? 

Most likely, the size is also the cause for your slowness. Attaching will not help, because nobody would be willing to even open it. I would not! 😮

Please go to "menu...file... vi properties... memory usage" and show us a screenshot of that window. Then we decide what to do next. :D.

If you have that menu, also go to "Menu...tools...profile...vi metrics", select the VI in question, check the various boxes in the middle and save to file. Attach that output too.

What does the program do?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,098 Views)

Altenbach is correct that many people might not open such a large file, but one simple answer to your question is various file sharing services, from Google Drive/Dropbox/OneDrive type services to others which allow you to share a file without subscribing.

(3,070 Views)

@tst wrote:

Altenbach is correct that many people might not open such a large file, but one simple answer to your question is various file sharing services, from Google Drive/Dropbox/OneDrive type services to others which allow you to share a file without subscribing.

Thanks. I meant to mention those in my reply but got side tracked and forgot. And yes, in contradiction of what I said above, I would probably be one of the few here that would actually open it, if just out of morbid curiosity. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,052 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

... I would probably be one of the few here that would actually open it, if just out of morbid curiosity. 😄

Not to mention feeding the beast known as the Rube Goldburg thread...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 6
(3,048 Views)