Data Acquisition Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_aniket72

XNET Sessions as Task

Hello All,

I would like to know that, why XNET sessions can not be configure in NI-MAX?

It will will be great, if developer can create session in MAX, and use in VI like DAQmx tasks.

BR,

Aniket Gadekar. 

Aniket Ramesh Gadekar
4 Comments
captain_only

Hey Aniket,

That seems like a reasonable thing to want! Are you aware you can use a wizard to create sessions in the LabVIEW project? What advantages would a MAX-based solution have for you over that?

NI Software Engineer - RIO
_aniket72

Hi captain_only,

Thank you for your time. 🙂

That seems like a reasonable thing to want! Are you aware you can use a wizard to create sessions in the LabVIEW project?

- Yes, I am currently using it.

What advantages would a MAX-based solution have for you over that?

- In software development, we can think of scalability many times.

- If we configure project wise X-NET sessions, I can not use this session as it is, if DBC/LDF file changed (like my product have another variant).

- Each time, I have to reconfigure session and build project and run.

- Instead, if we provide this configuration in MAX, then we can configure session in MAX, without touch my LabVIEW code.

- My be if LabVIEW can store this session in file and load from it then it will be very good.

- I will prefer to use inbuilt tools in LabVIEW like MAX for task configuration (without wasting my time to develop new customized tool in LabVIEW). MAX is very good tool for task creation. It saves lots of time.

- Also MAX offers to export task to file. So that we can import on other system very easily.

If anyone have suggestion, Please let me know.

Stay Healthy,

Aniket Ramesh Gadekar
captain_only

That makes lots of sense! 

Can you tell me more about your use case for re-using your code with different XNET session definitions? For example:

• Is this a test application? If so, are you using the same code with different DUTs? 
  • Is this a prototyping application? If so, does your code change what it does based on the XNET session or some other factor?

This sounds like the key need while being able to define/edit the session in MAX is a nice way to provide it. Is that right?

NI Software Engineer - RIO
_aniket72

Hi Captain_Only,

1. Is this a test application?

-  Yes, It is test application.

2. If so, are you using the same code with different DUTs?

- Yes, we have one LIN/CAN based product. So for that product we have different variants based on power consumption, power output.

3. Is this a prototyping application? If so, does your code change what it does based on the XNET session or some other factor?

- Basically I am using 3 Sessions like Signal Output Single Point, Signal In Waveform, & Frame In Stream.

- So every time I start test software, It initialize HW, send LIN/CAN signal speed request and acquire measurements. For Next variant, If we want to perform same test, then only signal name is change in XNET session.

4. This sounds like the key need while being able to define/edit the session in MAX is a nice way to provide it. Is that right?

- Yes. Of-course.

- Like MAX task configuration, this idea can give virtual channel name to LIN/CAN signal/frame.

Thank you & Stay Safe.

Aniket Ramesh Gadekar