Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample Exam Solutions for Review

Helen. I'm mobile now. I will go through the code later.

I assume:

you ran VI analyzer yourself.

you have read cld tips on the cert board.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 101 of 623
(7,285 Views)

Overall nice code.

You have some Functional reqs you missed.  Nothing major there some reqs might not get finished and your comments in a well chosen design pattern will provide the right info to the graders.

You did not add the vi's to the .lvproj.  Use that project explorer and work withing the project context.  This is Core I mod 2 material!  You probably learned bad habits developed before the .lvproj existed.  you have 4 days to unlearn that and master a basic LabVIEW skill. 

Error handling in sub-vis-  its not enough to run the error chain through your FGV!  start with the sub-vi with error handleing template.

PC-Events.  This is a bit trickier to understand.   As a rule of thumb: If the consuming Queued Message Handler also enqueues to self Use enqueue opposite end in the producer.  This ensures commands generated by user activity process immidiatly and are treated with the priority they deserve.

Good Luck on Friday

Message 102 of 623
(7,273 Views)

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the review.

I have mixed feeling about fully passing error in/out through case structures that don't have any error terminals in them, such as basic memory cell FGV, though take on board your points.

Cheers,

Helen

CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 103 of 623
(7,261 Views)

@HelenC wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the review.

I have mixed feeling about fully passing error in/out through case structures that don't have any error terminals in them, such as basic memory cell FGV, though take on board your points.

Cheers,

Helen

I have some mixed feelings about it as well,  But its your point that the grader will take off for style (they really want to see error/ no error cases in all sub-vis)

Message 104 of 623
(7,256 Views)

Hi Jeff,

Re.

I have some mixed feelings about it as well,  But its your point that the grader will take off for style (they really want to see error/ no error cases in all sub-vis)

It might be nice for NI to give some advice about this, as during a CLD Prep class I attended in November 2013 it was suggested by the instructor that for memory cell FGV, where an error won't affect the data, thT putting in it in an error case is overkill and just passing the error wires through the VI is OK.

For the sake of a point I'll definately do as you suggest, but some clarification by NI would be helpful for others following this post in the future.

Helen

CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 105 of 623
(7,254 Views)

As a general rule of thumb I always include the error in/error out terminals in subVIs, even when the error is simply passed through. The two exceptions are simple string processing or simple calculations. The overall code style is more consistent when they are included.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 106 of 623
(7,251 Views)

We recomend using the error cases in subVIs, even for simple calculations in which an error won't affect the data. This is for several reasons:

1) To Mark's point, it makes for a consistent style

2) If you need to add to the code later, you'll already have the structures in place to properly pass the errors

3) By having the error/no-error cases in place, it helps skip through execution as fast as possible until it reaches your error-handling code (where you actually do something meaningful with the error information).

While I'll admit that the functional advantages of the error case may be minimal for extremely simple subVIs, it is a best practice that you should follow and we do check for it on the exams. Jeff makes a good point that if you start with the "SubVI with Error Handling" template, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Cheers,
Daniel 

Message 107 of 623
(7,245 Views)

@Daniel_H1 wrote:

We recomend using the error cases in subVIs, even for simple calculations in which an error won't affect the data. This is for several reasons:

2) If you need to add to the code later, you'll already have the structures in place to properly pass the errors

3) By having the error/no-error cases in place, it helps skip through execution as fast as possible until it reaches your error-handling code (where you actually do something meaningful with the error information).

While I'll admit that the functional advantages of the error case may be minimal for extremely simple subVIs, it is a best practice that you should follow and we do check for it on the exams. Jeff makes a good point that if you start with the "SubVI with Error Handling" template, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Cheers,
Daniel 

It kind of defeats the purpose of "Create SubVI" though, doesn't it?  It was so nice back when all you had to do was click the "Create SubVI" and then the cleanup button and there you go...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 108 of 623
(7,239 Views)

Daniel_H1 wrote:

Cheers,
Daniel

Thank you Daniel for affirming what Jeff said.

Helen

CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 109 of 623
(7,227 Views)

Daniel,

Thanks for "The Word"  saves me a bit of typing. 

I'm starting a new discussion about possible updates of best practices for this board

0 Kudos
Message 110 of 623
(7,215 Views)