From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

humorous code comments

This answer to a serious question makes me believe there are more examples of comments that you wrote/found that could brighten someone else's day.

I put this into a brute-force OCR VI I wrote before NI released a property node to get the event selectors in an Event structure:

jcarmody_0-1662049358061.png

I'm often tempted to write "If it was hard to write it should be hard to read.", but the minions here might take it seriously.

Please share your humorous code comments.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,833 Views)

"This comment is for future Brian. Screw you."

Message 2 of 8
(2,820 Views)

Turns out most of my comments (actually feedback for improvements) isn't funny.

Sadly, this is the funniest.

wiebeCARYA_0-1662106688569.png

Message 3 of 8
(2,780 Views)

If you didn't know... LabVIEW supports pasting images onto block diagrams.  So you are not limited to text comments.

I can't post the actual thing here because of company confidentiality, but my favorite useful one so far is where a fellow developer just straight up took a cell phone picture of a whiteboard that had a complicated diagram on it showing the process and the calculations involved, and just pasted that in with an arrow pointing to it as a way of explaining the calculations that the VI it was in was doing.

To be silly I would occasionally put "reaction meme" images in code that I was reviewing from another developer to show to them later.  That never gets committed to source control...

Message 4 of 8
(2,722 Views)

@Kyle97330 wrote:

If you didn't know... LabVIEW supports pasting images onto block diagrams.  So you are not limited to text comments.

I can't post the actual thing here because of company confidentiality, but my favorite useful one so far is where a fellow developer just straight up took a cell phone picture of a whiteboard that had a complicated diagram on it showing the process and the calculations involved, and just pasted that in with an arrow pointing to it as a way of explaining the calculations that the VI it was in was doing.

( #Busted) 

In my defense, there had been a multi-hour meeting of the engineering team to explain, and agree on the algorithms and no one captured it on paper.  I had the whiteboard signed and dated by each responsible engineer and manager.  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 5 of 8
(2,654 Views)

@Kyle97330 wrote:

Just don't paste images of LabVIEW code into the diagram 😊.

That gets really confusing. Although you can resize the image, if you really insist on having LabVIEW code pasted as an image.

Message 6 of 8
(2,622 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@Kyle97330 wrote:

Just don't paste images of LabVIEW code into the diagram 😊.

That gets really confusing. Although you can resize the image, if you really insist on having LabVIEW code pasted as an image.

#Busted again 

It's getting to feel like a "Pick on Jay's code thread"!

Should I even admit that I have stuck documentation on a Global VI Block Diagram?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 7 of 8
(2,611 Views)

jcarmody_0-1669901472597.png

It's funny that the default is the old, broken way.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 8 of 8
(2,279 Views)