BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rube Goldberg Code

@Yamaeda wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Anyone care to explain the possible thought process leading to all that?

Arrays should be handled by references. All code is better with references. I've learned that in that C++ course i took in -95.

I am sure you did not learn to create a new reference and then destroy it once per iteration in a tight loop.

Message 2461 of 2,565
(1,616 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@Yamaeda wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Arrays should be handled by references. All code is better with references. I've learned that in that C++ course i took in -95.

I am sure you did not learn to create a new reference and then destroy it once per iteration in a tight loop.

My head is still stuck at the 2 DVRs that operate "inplace" and wire the values straight through.  (Gain[] and Offset[]) 

Did you ask the OP? What results could a phrenologist observe? 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2462 of 2,565
(1,570 Views)

@JÞB wrote:
phrenologist

My word of the day 😁.

0 Kudos
Message 2463 of 2,565
(1,540 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

@Yamaeda wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

My head is still stuck at the 2 DVRs that operate "inplace" and wire the values straight through.  (Gain[] and Offset[]) 

Did you ask the OP? What results could a phrenologist observe? 

They are simply needed to access the data for the calculation. Much like an &ref in C++.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2464 of 2,565
(1,473 Views)

There are many ways to quarter a 64bit integer, some are simpler than others. (seen here).

(And yes, SGL would be plenty to do a floating point representation of a 16bit integer, but the decimation operation requires DBL later)

altenbach_0-1668964679209.png

0 Kudos
Message 2465 of 2,565
(1,413 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

There are many ways to quarter a 64bit integer, some are simpler than others. (seen here).

(And yes, SGL would be plenty to do a floating point representation of a 16bit integer, but the decimation operation requires DBL later)

altenbach_0-1668964679209.png

I'll take a guess at your question: "Why so convoluted?".

Many people have no interest in learning anything new.   When they need to code something, they won't even bother searching the palettes for something that might work well.  Instead they just start hacking away with whatever limited knowledge is in their heads.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 2466 of 2,565
(1,381 Views)

Maybe you need code that takes 2 DBLs and inflates it to 100k (or more?) DBLs with more hot air than the Albuquerque balloon fiesta.

altenbach_1-1669909595016.png

Here's what to do (seen here ) 😄

altenbach_2-1669909838515.png

0 Kudos
Message 2467 of 2,565
(1,288 Views)

The accepted solution equivalent of cutting your finger off to prevent a mouse button press.

0 Kudos
Message 2468 of 2,565
(1,140 Views)

@AeroSoul wrote:

The accepted solution equivalent of cutting your finger off to prevent a mouse button press.

So, how would you solve it?

0 Kudos
Message 2469 of 2,565
(1,115 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@AeroSoul wrote:

So, how would you solve it?

I would also like to know.  Using an Abort button to Stop a vi is extremely dangerous.  It is precisely why no deployed apps have an abort button (unless a LabVIEW Developer forgets to rip it off)

I commonly remove the Abort button.  Removing the button also disables "CTRL+." or any hotkey otherwise assigned to Abort VI.  I started doing that shortly after joining these forums because of advice received from reading many threads.  If you have other practices I would be happy to hear your thoughts. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2470 of 2,565
(1,096 Views)