cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rube Goldberg Code

@paul_cardinale wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

And since each card was one line of code, if you dropped your stack of cards ...

You might think I'm joking but I'm serious.  That is why the Flair Tipped Marker  Became an instant success! Just draw a diagonal line across the cards of each routine on one edge and the entire stack on another edge.  Instant source code control!

The felt tip did not damage the card edges the way a pencil or pen did so, the card reader never jammed and you could reset a riffled deck and notice any missing cards.

Until you edit the code: Insert, delete, rearrange.

Code version written next to diagonal lines. ReadMe notes attached under rubber band.  Generally,  lowest version toward left edge of card, prerelease on bottom or Left edges for debug major release on Top or Right (Right is correct!)

What do they teach in collage? I learned that in the 5th grade!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2421 of 2,571
(2,426 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:
Until you edit the code: Insert, delete, rearrange.

As seen on the wikipedia page, editing can be handled: 

("A single program deck, with individual subroutines marked. The markings show the effects of editing, as cards are replaced or reordered")

altenbach_1-1656432919115.jpeg

Funny enough, I retained the same diagonal marking to keep 35mm slides in order (&correct orientation!), just in case I would drop one of the magazines. Since it might not be obvious which side is correct, I actually did two parallel lines, each in a different color. 😄

That's beautiful. 😍
Fortunately I learned on a BBC Micro so I never saw those.

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 2422 of 2,571
(2,392 Views)

So that's just a small program (remember, one card=one line of code). I remember our physics professor telling us about his advanced calculations with stacks well over a foot high.

0 Kudos
Message 2423 of 2,571
(2,390 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

So that's just a small program (remember, one card=one line of code).

Where, I assume (wasn't there 😊), one line of code actually means 1 opcode?

0 Kudos
Message 2424 of 2,571
(2,374 Views)

Well, one line of FORTRAN IV high-level code. Since the line length was so limited for the actual statement (66 chars!), you could actually add special continuation marks so a line of code could be split to multiple cards.

The FORTRAN card provides special fields in columns
•  1–5 ......... "Statement Number", also used to indicate a comment by the character "C",
•  6 ............. "Continuation", used to identify a card as a continuation of the previous card/statement,
•  7–72 ....... 66 columns to hold the FORTRAN statement(s),
•  73–80 .... "Identification", used for sorting or collation, ignored by the FORTRAN compiler.

The first tab-stop in FORTRAN-mode is at column 5 (before column "Continuation"), any other tab-stop is at every 6 columns, providing another stop just at the beginning of the identification field.

To advance on a fresh card to the start of a normal FORTRAN statement, hit <TAB> twice."

Message 2425 of 2,571
(2,368 Views)

While the code is not the solution to the OP problem (and is also wrong in many ways!!), I can probably think of

a few simplification in the most general terms. 😄 (seen here)

No need for "insert into array". No need for shift registers, no need for a FOR loop. Not sure what the representations of that blue diagram constant is, etc....)

altenbach_0-1656916151870.png

Message 2426 of 2,571
(2,301 Views)

Seen here: GPS synchronization on USRP-RIO - NI Community

That's a silly way to get a 0. Probably legacy code.

Also, that's a for loop, not a while loop.

0 Kudos
Message 2427 of 2,571
(2,003 Views)

I'm a little surprised that "round toward -infinity" accepts an integer as a default data type. I would have expected a coercion dot here.

0 Kudos
Message 2428 of 2,571
(1,893 Views)

@BowenM wrote:

I'm a little surprised that "round toward -infinity" accepts an integer as a default data type. I would have expected a coercion dot here.

That's round toward zero but one can assume the 64bit int used to be orange.  ( yeah the i, I32, is Coerced so the other blue wire is wider and the result is Coerced at the U32 whole seconds input)

At a guess the while loop at one time looked to sync with the TOS, Time of Second, GPS pulse.  Nobody bothered to comment the code and, whoop! There it is!  Who's Razor said don't attribute actions to malice that can be explained adequately by ignorance?

Hanlon.  Took me a moment. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2429 of 2,571
(1,861 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

At a guess the while loop at one time looked to sync with the TOS, Time of Second, GPS pulse.  Nobody bothered to comment the code and, whoop! There it is!  Who's Razor said don't attribute actions to malice that can be explained adequately by ignorance?

Hanlon.  Took me a moment. 

I assumed ignorance in the first place 😂.

0 Kudos
Message 2430 of 2,571
(1,810 Views)