BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW vs Covid19

Just curious if any other developers have been involved in any projects that are helping in the fight against Corona.

I did a project last year for a machine that tested HEPA and ULPA air filters.

The LabVIEW software and little multifunction USB DAQ controlled a hefty “little” VFD  and an airlock, while reading data from a couple of flow meters, a pressure sensor and a USB environmental sensor. 

Tuning the PID for the big fan on this system was tricky with all the dead time.  I ended up finding the Smith Predictor PID example and that got me pointed in the right direction. 

Automating and collecting data from their existing particle counters was another interesting challenge as the hardware was old and documentation was spotty.  LabVIEW MODBUS for the win here. 

I worked with a few “new to me” terms and math on this one.  It’s a challenge at the time, but that kind of diversity is still my favorite part this job. 

Things have been running for a few months now, and the customer tells me they are now getting many, many inquiries for filters and filter media.   

Love to hear what others have done that might be helpful in this fight. 

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
Message 1 of 6
(5,498 Views)

I have been asking that question as well, gotten some not LabVIEW centric stuff, mostly suggestions of 3D printer projects, will keep looking, will report here if I find anything.

Your filter project sounds a lot like one I did a few years ago, looked like a small wind tunnel made out of duct work. First time we started the fan the flexing of the sheet metal duct work scared the heck out of me, hit the panic button pretty quickly. Ours had a particle detector, with sensors up stream and down from the filter being tested. We had a particle injector upstream, the problem was that when it was ULPA filters being tested the upstream sensor would be overloaded before we would see a particle downstream.   My customer had designed most of it before bringing me onboard, so I was trying to get things working that hadn't apparently seen LabVIEW, so no drivers. The particle detector used MODBUS, but its designers didn't put a lot of space between its internal control code in memory and the registers I was to write to. Bricked one early on  😮  but they were pretty gracious, only charging us shipping costs to return.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 2 of 6
(5,402 Views)

I was looking around at UV-C LEDs last night and pondering possibilities.  No solid ideas yet though. 

Your project sounds very similar to my own, right down to the jump scare on start up.  It was a loud enough boom that the whole plant probably jumped.    

I was fortunate enough not to damage any of the particle counters during the development process.  As I was told, previous repairs were costly. 

"Calibrating" the upstream and downstream particle detectors faced a similar issue of particle propagation. Seems they pick up a charge and like to stick to the duct work.  They tried a few different particle injectors and mediums and eventually were satisfied with the results.  

...So, what about a Roomba like device with a solid bank of UVC LEDs and a telescoping wand?  (an old FRC robot would be almost there)  

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
Message 3 of 6
(5,384 Views)

Disclaimer:

Spoiler

Being retired, I am not actively doing anything useful since the first of the year...

But...

I did a lot of projects that are in use now by the CDC ( (NIOSH). I wrote a few things about some of those projects in my LinkedIn profile.

The wind tunnel project ...

DSCN1874.JPG

... was not as exciting as you have described. Maybe because the PHD I was working with had the system figured out such that he provided a flow diagram of the process and I simply translated it into LV. The only detail he did not foresee was an issue with one term in the math not converging. He had me add a "close enough" factor.

The lab operated by the CDC to evaluate how well various mask types (including N95 masks) adapted to a wide variety of facial shapes under a wide range of conditions, marching, climbing, speaking, etc.

SFP_1.jpg

It used a salt water spray since the particle size is small an safe to for the subjects wearing the masks. It used a pair of Sodium Flame Photometers for up-stream and down stream detectors. Straight forward DAQ until we had to take into consideration which combination of filters were being used as the test went along. It was a bit of a challenge for the operators since they had to change the filter settings to be able to handle a wide range of concentrations as the tests proceeded. I used DI lines to monitor which filters were active at any time.

While not directly related to the N95 masks, another CDC lab was automated to allow the filter cartridges used on the masks by first responders safely.

DSCN1764.JPG

That application went through three generations starting with BridgeVIEW, migrated to DSC and then eventually to be rewritten so that they can clone the system for multiples labs.

Since they test ALL of the nastiest stuff (short of bio) that system had to allow the automatic control and and monitoring the test process from outside the fume hoods. Failures had to be detected quickly to avoid damaging the down-stream detectors with excessive concentrations.

Notable tidbits about that lab.

Exhaust blowers on the roof looked like jet aircraft engines.

When the building was being set-up, it took two hands to open the doors to the building due to the vacuum through the fume hoods.

The detectors used in each fume varied depending on what was being tested.

The lab shown in the image above has a hazardous placard that was "4-4-4-Radioactive".

Tear gas will condense on the piping in high concentrations and will look like a feather boa.

"Safety training" amounted to "Ben, if you hear the alarm go off, run!"

A dropped bottle of formaldahyde (sp?) shutdown the building for almost a month to be decontaminated.

H2S is heavier than air, will dissolve in perspiration and will leave scars (do not ask!)

It was fun playing a part in all that work. If I ever found myself trying to explain what I did for a living to non-techno-types I would say "I am a scientist/engineer that that helps the scientists and engineers that make the world better.

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 6
(5,344 Views)

Hi all,

At NI we are looking to help with the COVID-19 outbreak in whatever way we can. Today we opened a new area in the NI Community focused on idea generation. I look forward to some great collaboration.

Community Manager
NI Community
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,118 Views)

We are working on a prototype that uses LabVIEW.  I cannot talk about details of the project, but will keep you informed of progress.  If the prototype is successful, then it goes to the funding process.  Nothing is really quick...  😉

Message 6 of 6
(4,988 Views)