BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Keyboard

I think Darren posted about the ErgoDex configurable keyboard at one point. ~ $200 US if you opt for an additional 25 buttons (total of 50)

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 11 of 35
(8,699 Views)

@Ben wrote:

You have inspired an impractical line of thought for myself. With an old keyboard and five switches I could select upto 32 functions with a single five bit number controlled by five fingers of the left hand, 64 if I use a foot switch and 128 if i use two foot switches.

Yep, in the past I also got an idea to use my foots more active (simply connect Shift and Control buttons to the left and right foots... 🙂 Could be funny.

But I guess the future with "Brain controlled" IDE. Like http://www.emotiv.com/store/ 🙂

Andrey.

Message 12 of 35
(8,698 Views)

I forget to mention that your line...

"

Theoretically it can be connected to the same PC, but then I should play hard game with WinAPI - at the first setting up hook for keyboard, then detect from which one coming the keystrokes, then isolate Windows messaging queue from HID device... Pretty complicated. More easy to use second PC and network.

"

Brought a smile to my face.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 35
(8,694 Views)

@Ben wrote:

I forget to mention that your line...

"

Theoretically it can be connected to the same PC, but then I should play hard game with WinAPI - at the first setting up hook for keyboard, then detect from which one coming the keystrokes, then isolate Windows messaging queue from HID device... Pretty complicated. More easy to use second PC and network.

"

Brought a smile to my face.

Ben

Yes, I know, it looks crazy to have second PC as "keyboard extender", but really easiest way (programming was done in 15 minutes - most time was invested for putting stickers on the keybord). Attached example from mouse-party.com - how you can differentiate two mouses, connected to the PC. With keyboard - same hell with RawDevice Win API...

Andrey.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 35
(8,690 Views)

I guess for the keyboard extender, you can reuse one of the old computers that are to slow to work on with current software. Hmm, propably a way to finally recycle my old notebook (age of Win NT). That might even have an RS232 to transmit the keystrokes!

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 35
(8,658 Views)

two foot switches!

This is LV mastery at its best!

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 35
(8,627 Views)

or an RS232 keyboard, that won't be detected by Microsoft as a ' keyboard' .

You'll only need to poll the serial port.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 35
(8,602 Views)

From Tons linked supplier:

180 position field

programmable keyboard,

you choose your colors,

and text.

Maybe they can do pictures as well... 

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 35
(8,578 Views)

@f. Schubert wrote:

From Tons linked supplier:

180 position field

programmable keyboard,

you choose your colors,

and text.

Maybe they can do pictures as well... 

Felix

No, they are not good from ergonomic point of view. They are industrial keybords, and the buttons are very "hard". They are good for the industry, for machine control, but not for the office.

Andrey.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 35
(8,553 Views)

@nrp wrote:

two foot switches!

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 20 of 35
(8,545 Views)