From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 42

What is your favorite error code? Personally I like Error 42, "Generic Error".
Message 1 of 7
(7,496 Views)
Don't you know that Douglas Adams references are off-limits to true HHGG fans until people forget about the movie? Anyone mentioning "42" is bound to look as if they only heard about it now.

Any of the TCP errors (63, 56 and so on) can be enough to drive you mad if you can't see any good reason for it being generated.
The PDA module has seperate error codes for the same errors (in the 10000 range), which can also be annoying.
There is, of course, the all time favorite - ERROR 1 - Invalid input.

But, after all of those, there is only one error code I really like - 0. That's like sweet music to my eyes.

"7 File not found." is my fovorite.

First time builders of apps that look for support files all have to pass through this gate.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,480 Views)
My "favorite" error is demonstrated in the attached VI (LabVIEW 7.0). It was very popular many years ago, no special skills needed to reproduce it. 🙂
Message 4 of 7
(7,471 Views)
Makes a good screen saver! Really makes the IT folks nervous!

P.M.
Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,437 Views)
I love those error messages that refer to insane objects being found. I often imagine there's a section of RAM that is cordoned off as the asylum and every once in a while an object sneaks out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 6 of 7
(7,426 Views)
My personal definition of "insane error" was formed in the LabVIEW 2.5.x days, when they would occur VERY often, usually when you had been really cranking code, right in the groove, and hadn't saved recently. It really was starting to cause me to consider anti-psychosis medications! I worked with another engineer on the project who became so paranoid about the computer, that when he would come into the room he wouldn't ask, "have you saved recently", he would ask very obliquely, "so, have you, you know ..." Really was frustrating, guess that it showed that I was really mentally ill ("when a action is continuously repeated, despite all previous occurances having a negative outcome").

Not one of my favorite messages, although I haven't seen it in about 6 month (V7.0)

P.M.
Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 7 of 7
(7,415 Views)