BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you write or draw a LabVIEW Program?

Solved!
Go to solution

My statement was more of a warning to others to simply ignore your comment. Some might even go so far as saying it's simply trolling.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 35
(14,276 Views)

Maybe he'll be a fun troll!

BTW, Do C coders write or type their programs???Smiley Indifferent

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 35
(14,265 Views)

@NIquist wrote:

Maybe he'll be a fun troll!

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 35
(14,261 Views)

@NIquist wrote:

BTW, Do C coders write or type their programs???Smiley Indifferent

They type them but it is the convention to say they write them. In the early days they punched holes in card so they must have punch programs in those days.

So what do you think, do you write, draw or wire LabVIEW Programs?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 35
(14,247 Views)

Since good LabVIEW programming is a work of art, why not "create?"

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 35
(14,243 Views)

I typically just program something in LabVIEW (using the word "program" as a verb).

This term is generic enough to apply to any kind of computer programming.

Other words imply a specific physical action. Drawing, writing, typing, wiring, etc. "Wiring" is too limiting because it describes only a small subset of LabVIEW programming. We need to place the primitives and subVIs before we can wire them up. Also don't forget that we can create LabVIEW programs using voice commands, for example. Maybe somebody could even adapt kinect gestures for LabVIEW programming. 😄 

(see also)

Message 16 of 35
(14,226 Views)

What is the purpose of your posts? Are you trying to start some sort of LabVIEW bashing thread? Are you trying to rile the folks here on this forum? I get the sense that you do not like LabVIEW and are here simply to belittle those who do use it. If that is the case please feel free to leave. If not then perhaps should should clarify why you are asking the question.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 35
(14,216 Views)

@altenbach wrote:
Maybe somebody could even adapt kinect gestures for LabVIEW programming. 😄

Why "maybe"?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu95KXA8uDw&hd=1&t=2m49s

Personally, I use "write", although I don't think it really matters.

(14,196 Views)

@Mark Yedinak wrote:

What is the purpose of your posts? Are you trying to start some sort of LabVIEW bashing thread? Are you trying to rile the folks here on this forum? I get the sense that you do not like LabVIEW and are here simply to belittle those who do use it. If that is the case please feel free to leave. If not then perhaps should should clarify why you are asking the question.

I was writing documentation for a customer, It was a development plan for adding additional functionality to already "Drawn LabVIEW code". I changed it because I through it was unprofessional. As LabVIEW is sold as a graphical programming language then should we treat is as such when we describe code made using the language. In short guess I was trying to start a trend, I was surprised to not find anything similar on this forum.

I was not trying to belittle LabVIEW programmer as this would be hypocritical, I have my CLAD, will soon have my CLD and it is a large part of my job. I wrote it for the reaction ( I may do this on all my posts), sometime I feel that people look at LabVIEW through rose tinted glasses (especially thus who don't use it on a day to day basis). Most of the time I'm writing programs that would be more suited to another languages for no reason expect my boss/customers think it's the best thing ever.

Message 19 of 35
(14,178 Views)

@TAP_ wrote:

I was writing documentation for a customer, It was a development plan for adding additional functionality to already "Drawn LabVIEW code". I changed it because I through it was unprofessional. As LabVIEW is sold as a graphical programming language then should we treat is as such when we describe code made using the language. In short guess I was trying to start a trend, I was surprised to not find anything similar on this forum.

I was not trying to belittle LabVIEW programmer as this would be hypocritical, I have my CLAD, will soon have my CLD and it is a large part of my job. I wrote it for the reaction ( I may do this on all my posts), sometime I feel that people look at LabVIEW through rose tinted glasses (especially thus who don't use it on a day to day basis). Most of the time I'm writing programs that would be more suited to another languages for no reason expect my boss/customers think it's the best thing ever.

Well, given that my degree is Computer Science and that I have been developing code in LabVIEW for many years now as well as written a significant amount of code in other traditional text based languages I think I have the experience to comment on this. With respect to terms when developing code in LabVIEW I don't think you need any special terminology. You are developing code and as such are programming. Just because it is graphical does not mean you should say "drawing". The true nature of programming is the design and architecture of the code regardless of the specifics of how it is implemented. Just like in OOP you design and define your classes in a generic manner which does not dictate implementation details or language. A design of an application is just that, a design. How it is implemented is up to the developer.

I would be interested in what areas you feel LabVIEW is ill suited. I have not really encountered any solution where I felt LabVIEW lacked the ability to implement the system. And for the record I use LabVIEW in my day to day life as a pure programming language. I can count on one hand how many pieces of external equipment I have used. So that in itself negates the argument that it is only good for test and measure or dealing with DAQ equipment. One shortcoming of LabVIEW has been it's ability to implement complex algorithms in a concise readable format. However with the formula node that is no longer the case. Embedded realtime systems are limited only by the current supported platforms. If LabVIEW supported more generic platforms I can easily see it being more widely utilized for realtime embedded development. As for a PC based application, I can't think of any application that LabVIEW would not be capable of implementing.

In my experience generally the folks who argue that LabVIEW is not a real programming language either have never used it and are simply biased or they have not fully embraced dataflow programming and are still thinking in terms of sequential or procedural programming.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 20 of 35
(14,163 Views)