From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-8516 and NI-CAN compatibility layer

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello

I am trying to use a PXI-8516 LIN card we recently purchased to extend an existing project which uses CAN cards with the NI-CAN compatibility layer. In order to maintain consistency, I would like to use the NI-CAN API as well. The API provides support for LIN protocol, but when I try to use it with this card (using a simple ncOpen with ObjName=LIN1) I get error BFF6210D "Your application uses a feature that your NI CAN or LIN hardware does not support." Does this mean that this card cannot be used with the NI-CAN API?

I have looked at the NI documentation, and it says that the compatibility layer cannot be used with USB LIN cards, but this is a PXI card. In the support page "Migrating NI-CAN Applications to NI-XNET", located at http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/9717 it even has a flowchart to help decide if the compatibility layer can be used. In the flowchart it specifies that the 851x series can be used with the NI-CAN compatibility layer. Does this include the LIN cards PXI-8516 and PCI-8516? Or does it only refer to the CAN cards of that family?

Can the PXI-8516 be used with the NI-CAN API?

Thanks

AGID

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,950 Views)

No, the PXI-8516 cannot be used with the NI-CAN compatibility layer. The compatibility layer is designed to migrate existing NI-CAN aplications written to use PXI/PCI Series 2 hardware to new XNET hardware. It is not intended to migrate existing NI-CAN appliations writtens for USB-CAN or USB-LIN applications to XNET hardware, although it woud likely work for USB-CAN applications as they only use a subset of the PXI/PXI Series 2 API.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,944 Views)

But this is not an "existing NI-CAN appliation written for USB-CAN or USB-LIN applications". It is an application for a PXI card. That's why I was asking, because according to the wording of the documentation, it should be possible to use it, but I don't know if the documentation is older than the hardware and NI has not had time to update the documentation.

AGID

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,940 Views)
Solution
Accepted by AGID

NI does not recommend using the NI-CAN API for new designs. We provide the compatibility layer for existing applications that were written to run on existing NI-CAN hardware to help migrate to the newer NI-XNET hardware without changing your application (although updating to the NI-XNET API would provide the highest level of performance, we understand that not all applications can be updated immediately).

NI doesn't make any PXI-LIN cards that work with the NI-CAN API, so migrating existing NI-CAN PCI/PXI hardware to NI-XNET PCI/PXI hardware is not applicable for LIN. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,938 Views)