LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhillipBrooks

Add Block Diagram design for typedefs

A typedef control has no block diagram.  When you modify an existing typedef, block diagram instances of that typedef are updated; but any block diagram display customization is lost. This can seriously affect the appearance of a block diagram when the typedef is inside a state machine.

I suggest that a typedef control should have the ability to define the block diagram appearance, and that it should have it's own flag for regular or strict.  A typedef could be defined as regular for the front panel while the block diagram could be set as 'strict'.

The typedef editor could display the front panel and block diagram appearance in adjacent panes (see image below).

bd-typdef.png

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

6 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

The block diagram customization for each instance would still be lost under your proposal. Many people take a cluster like the one in your picture and make a very small box of it when they put it on the diagram. Your solution solves the "I want every instance I drop to have this same general layout even on the diagram" problem, but it doesn't solve the "I've rearranged this constant to fit on this particular diagram" problem. In fact, it makes the later problem worse because now I can't rearrange a strict typedef instance because the strict typedef defines how it should appear on the diagram.

Not a bad idea, but perhaps needs more contemplation.

LabBEAN
Active Participant

Aristos-

Today, all diagram instances update when you change your type def.  So, you'll have to rearrange the constants to "fit on this particular diagram" anyhow.  Why not have all diagram instances update to reflect the layout you've provided in the editor instead of today's super-tall vertical layout.  Then, allow further customization on the diagram just like you can today.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

LabBEAN and others:

Please check out my other idea here. I would love to eliminate the "Typedef Explosion" that LabBEAN describes above.

Regards,

Jack

Message Edited by mechelecengr on 07-07-2009 12:15 PM
JimboH

I think this is a great idea and handles a different problem than the "Typedef Explosion" problem, whose goal in my opinion is to hide the constant. In certain cases I think it is desirable to display the full constant, this allows for easier visual inspection of the code and manual changing of entries.  

Ben
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Yes I am for this idea as described by Phillip.

If it is too hard to implement in LV another change that could help us is if LV offered to crate a wrapper for the type-def when we do a "save-as" from the control editor. The wrpaaer Vi would have the same name as the control but different extension and the icon would be the same as given to the type-def. Any help assigned to the type-def would come across to the wrapper.

Although not as nice as what Phillip described it would get us the benefit of no diagram explosions with making us go through the extra steps of crating the wrapper.

Second thought!

Add a "Save-as_With Wrapper" to the file drop down.

But I would prefer ti was done as Phillip described since that is what many people "expect*" should work.

Ben

* Many post on forums asking why type def on diagram is exploding and concidering it a bug.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
ashwincirruslogic

It is 2020 now and this is still relevant. @NI please consider this idea.

Thanks,

Ashwin