LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Andi_S

replace a polymorphic VI by the currently selected type

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

Polymorphic VIs are nice but sometimes it would be helpful to have a possibility of easily replacing it by one of its instances.

My suggestion:

Add the entry "replace with current instance" into the "replace"-entry of the context menu if the user right-clicks to a polymorphic VI.

11 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

For what reason would you want to do this?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Andi_S

e.g. keep the code slim, avoid LV searching all the time for missing instances, ...

altenbach
Knight of NI

I still don't quite get it. If the VI has a polymorphic VI selector, we can just select a different instance. In other cases, we would just wire a different datatype and it will magically change to the correct instance.

> e.g. keep the code slim, avoid LV searching all the time for missing instances, ...

Under what conditions exactly is LabVIEW searching all the time for missing instances?

Please explain. Why are they missing and why is LabVIEW searching? Thanks!

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Sorry, Andi_S... this idea just seems to defeat the whole point of poly VIs. I don't see why you're wanting this. Your explanation makes little sense to me. AppBuilder already strips polyVIs when you're doing your build to keep the code small. While editing, the whole point of a polyVI is to keep up with type changes as they occur. Why would you want to disconnect that? If you want that, why use a polyVI in the first place?

You can write a scripting function that does the replace that you're talking about. That you can do in LV today -- find all callers of the polyVI, find the instances and replace the polyVI node with the relevant subVI node. Probably would take an afternoon to write.

[There is something in LV 2015 that will help (not solve but help) Andi_S with this request. I can't talk about it now because the product isn't released, but after the new version ships, post to this thread to remind me to talk about it if you're interested.]

I'll leave the idea open in case it gets more kudos, but given the information I have at the moment, it doesn't sound like an idea NI would ever act on.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

AristosQueue wrote:

[There is something in LV 2015 that will help (not solve but help) Andi_S with this request. I can't talk about it now because the product isn't released, but after the new version ships, post to this thread to remind me to talk about it if you're interested.]

QuickDrop has been around for a very long time.  What do you mean you can't talk about it?Smiley Wink

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

QD is sooooo last year. 😉

JCC_(SK)
Active Participant

I love DQ!!!

Are you going to take it from me?! Smiley Surprised

crossrulz
Knight of NI

JCC_(SK) wrote:

I love DQ!!!

Are you going to take it from me?! Smiley Surprised

I like Dairy Queen too.  I doubt NI can take the Blizzard away from us.

GCentral
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Are you going to take it from me?!

No. Read the context again and consider the implications of what I can't talk about. It's as much hint as you're getting until August.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.