LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacemdom

"Shift+Enter" next row in array for data entry

Ctrl+Enter inserts an item in an array in LabVIEW 2020 SP1 and later.

When entering values into an array, hitting "Shift+Enter" would jump to next row when entering data. Like in enums and rings.
15 Comments
Jarrod_S.
Active Participant
A WONDERFUL idea. This is very tedious to set manually. I use a lot of queued state machines with string state names, and it is a pain to continually set array elements manually.
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
A-T-R
An alternative to "shift + enter" would be the tab key, just like jumping from cell to cell in Excel!
jacemdom
Active Participant
If tab would be used then it would become more difficult to insert a tab in the string...
ConnerP

Why isn't this implemented yet? This is basic functionality in any program that handles arrays/tabulated data.

Apparently it has been, but only 2020 SP1 and newer... https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Alt-Enter-to-proceed-to-the-next-element-of-an-array/...

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

>If tab would be used then it would become more difficult to insert a tab in the string...

Tab doesn't put a tab in the string. Tabs are ignored atm.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

@jacemdom wrote:
When entering values into an array, hitting "Shift+Enter" would jump to next row when entering data. Like in enums and rings.

Shift+Enter in enums\rings doesn't go to the next element. It inserts a new element.

Shouldn't Shift+Enter in an array insert a new element?

+1 anyway, as atm we don't have anything.

ConnerP

Wiebe, check my last post on here. In that duplicate idea it was marked as implemented in 2020SP1, albeit an option, with cryptic naming, that actively needs selected in the settings.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

ConnerP: What do you mean as an option or cryptic naming? You drop any array containing a text field control (numeric, string, path, etc) in LV 2020 SP1(or later):

• tab moves to next item
  • shift+tab moves to previous item
  • ctrl+enter inserts after current item
  • ctrl+shift+enter inserts before current item
  • ctrl+delete removes current item
ConnerP

AQ, I am not fortunate enough to be running 2020SP1 or newer yet so I could not test the actual experience. Since 2021SP1 has finally dropped I will be talking with my admin about upgrading our systems. My comment was based on Darren writing "Note that this functionality requires that you have Tools > Options > Environment > General > Lock automatic tool selection" in the post I linked.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Sorry... make that LabVIEW 2020. I mistyped. I edited my previous comment to reflect that.