LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

"Resizing helper" tip strips

Since very early LabVIEW versions, we always had the small sizing tip strip at the bottom that showed the current size in pixels when resizing an object on the front panel or diagram.

This is maybe OK for simple decorations, but for most other objects it is very inadequate and not helpful at all. For example if I resize an "index array" node to show more outputs, the node size in pixels is probably the least interesting information! It would be much more useful to indicate the number of outputs instead.

Now if we resize an "index array" node for 8 outputs, we simply resize until the tip strip shows [8 outputs]. Without this, we need to guess the size, count, resize again, etc. A slow, tedious, and error prone process, especially for larger sizes.

Of course the "resize tip strip" should adapt depending on the object that is being resized to always show the most useful values(s). Here are some possible examples:

Resizing action                      example of tip strip

Resize a 1D array:                  [5 elements visible]

Resize a 2D array:                  [6 rows x 5 columns]

Resize "built array" node:          [7 inputs]

Resize "index array" node:          [5 outputs] 

Resize "initialize array" node:     [3 dimensions]

Resize "replace array subset" node: [8 elements/subarrays]

Resize "compound arithmetic" node:  [4 inputs]

Resize a graph:                     [Overall size: 400x600, plot area: 380x500]

It should of course apply equally for front panel and diagram objects. For example the suggestion for the arrays would apply to an array control, array indicator, or array diagram constants. 

Of course there are many more possible objects, each with it's on set of useful size parameters. This is just a small collection. Please go over the palettes and make other suggestions!

Message Edited by Support on 06-02-2009 12:36 PM
2 Comments
PJM_Labview
Active Participant
Cool, I actually learned something. I never noticed the size tip strip before...

vipm.io | jki.net

ChillyWilly

it's been a while since this was suggested and it still it not implemented.  I'm beginning to think NI does not know how to do it....