From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
InternationAL

The VI Hierarchy Window Should Only Show the Actual VI's in Use

I did a search for "VI Hierarchy" and didn't turn up this idea.  I sure hope it isn't a repeat. 

If you have a polymorphic VI in your VI hierarchy, when you view the hierarchy, it seems like every single polymorphic instance of that VI shows up, as well.  This doesn't help me at all, and I don't know why it works this way.  I should only see the specific VI's I am using.

After dropping just one function (DAQmx Read [Analog DBL 1Chan 1Samp])

daqmx read.png

Now check out my VI hierarchy!

VI Hierarchy Gone Berserk after One DAQmx Function Dropped.png

It's gone berserk!  It is showing me every single flavor of DAQmx Read!  Try this for your own amusement. Smiley Wink

Why don't I see only one DAQmx Read function in this hierarchy?  Or maybe someone can shed some light on why it SHOULD work this way.  I definitely think it SHOULDN'T.  The block diagram I posted above should not have a hierarchy like this!

Message Edited by Support on 07-30-2009 09:27 AM
25 Comments
NicB

Well, I had been frustrated about this for a long time. However, each time I choose to "Hide All SubVIs" for poly (of course, for each one of them - another button in toolbar will be great).

Perhaps Aristos could explain us why FFT does not have "uncalled VI"?

FFT.vi has not uncalled VI.PNG

shew82
In that case, could we at least get an additional filtering button so that we can temporarily hide the unused VIs - thus, allowing us to actually see the VIs we're interested in?
Ben
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I'd like a button taht allows my exclude the un-used version of the PolyVI like I can shu-off VIs in VI.lib. I use this button regularly to shut-down all of that noise.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
William_Wood

Tst:

>>As you can see, this is a simple piece of code which uses 6 OpenG VIs. OpenG VIs are often polymorphic, thus these 6 VIs result in a total of 218 VIs added to the hierarchy.

>>Here's what part of the hierarchy window looks like. Imagine what happens when this is part of a real app where you're trying to actually understand what's happening and you'll see why this becomes a problem.

I installed OpenOffice RGT add-on for report generation toolkit. When I nolonger need OpenOffice and used MS Office instead. I uninstalled OpenOffice RGT and it hasn't removed the _ogtk.vi references in project manager under dependency list and I am clueless how to remove them completely, I am just tired of launching project and have it searched and tells me that _ogtk.vi files are missing every time I launch the project.. Any idea how to completely uninstall RGT addons that would also delete all _ogtk.vi references and dependencies? Thanks.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Please post your message in the LabVIEW forum.  You posted in the Ideas Exchange which is for suggesting and commenting on ideas to improve LabVIEW.  You seem to have a question that really doesn't relate directly to the new idea proposed.